SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-05, 09:14 PM   #1
Mark_h
Mega Poster

Default Exhaust compatibility

I've read the exhaust section and everyone seems to believe their exhaust is the best, but the general opinion is that most third party cans are better than the stock can.

Now, being a cheapscate I am looking for a second hand can to make my bike sound a bit better but not be too loud and so upset my neighbours in the morning.

A quick trawl through e-bay turned up loads of cans off of various bikes. This raised a question that I am sure one or more of you could answer for me.

What other bikes have the same diameter downpipe and geometry as an SV (2001 naked) to allow their aftermarket can to fit my bike?

The previous owner of my bike had a race can fitted for a while and then refitted the stock can (He sold the race can). So I have a stock can, a 6-inch link pipe then the stock downpipes. This suggests I could get a "universal" can, remove my can and link pipe and simply slip on the new one.

So the question is if someone has taken a nice remus or blue-flame off of say a hornet or a GSX would if fit my downpipe? Anyone got any tips or warnings I should bear in mind?

Cheers
Mark_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 02:08 AM   #2
Graham

The only thing wrong with the standard can is that It's too quiet, It's very good quality and stainless steel. Also being 5" diameter It sounds better than an after market can when debaffled, Very deep throaty rumble.
Old 12-09-05, 04:38 AM   #3
PeterM

Easy way to check would be to contact a few suppliers and see if there are specific pipes for certain bikes. I know there are with some, especially underseat varieties but they would be your best source.
Old 12-09-05, 12:53 PM   #4
Six Chin Skinny

IIRC, someone fitted an R1 can to their SV without major modification other than the usual cut and clamp. Don't remember the particulars or the outcome (jetting, performance)...
Old 12-09-05, 01:04 PM   #5
Viney
Mega Poster

You have to use a can of the right dimensions and capacity or else the bike will run to lean etc. Using a can that is meant for another bike will bugger up the running!! IF youre a cheapskate, then get a viper. At around £100 all in, and a year warranty, it hardly seems the hassle of 'other bikes' cans
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 02:02 PM   #6
BURNER

Look on EB*Y for a slip on can of the correct diameter.
If you're worried about the neighbours fit a DB killer.
Old 12-09-05, 02:16 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Most can manufacturers use only a couple of variants of their can to suit all bikes... CCC for instance, only change the link pipe or end cap (or did when I got mine, anyway) to suit the fitment on most bikes. ART were the same. Blue Flame too, I think, and Scorpion. Even Yoshimura and Akrapovic use only a very small number of different end cans. Not like me to disagree with Viney but I really don't think it's the case that many companies design their cans to work specifically with one bike, except where fitment requires it (underseats etc).

Still, it'll probably be far easier to get one designed for the SV, just from the fitment point of view...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 02:37 PM   #8
BURNER

You may have issues with jetting and running after changing, unless you got for road legal, which is never the cheap option.
Old 12-09-05, 03:00 PM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
Most can manufacturers use only a couple of variants of their can to suit all bikes... CCC for instance, only change the link pipe or end cap (or did when I got mine, anyway) to suit the fitment on most bikes. ART were the same. Blue Flame too, I think, and Scorpion. Even Yoshimura and Akrapovic use only a very small number of different end cans. Not like me to disagree with Viney but I really don't think it's the case that many companies design their cans to work specifically with one bike, except where fitment requires it (underseats etc).

Still, it'll probably be far easier to get one designed for the SV, just from the fitment point of view...
You are right, i should have clarified. Most 4 Cyl bikes cans will be long and thin, twins run shorter/stubbier cans as a rule. Renegade make IIRC 5 lengths and 4 diameters making 20 variants!
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 03:29 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Out of curiousity, how many of those possible variants does Jorge actually use?
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote