SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-04-06, 07:45 AM   #1
Toypop

Default Legal Question Regarding Pedestrians

I recently happened upon the scene of an accident where a 12/13 year old kid had been playing chicken on a dual carriageway and taken out a bike.

The bike looked written off to me, the rider and pillion were led in the road and appeared to be injured but not seriously.

It got me thinking, I nearly went for TPFT insurance on my new bike and had I been riding down the road 10 minutes earlier I could have had £5000 smashed up in the gutter.

Where would I have stood in that situation in terms of getting my money back? Also if I had been seriously injured to the point that I was left disabled or needing care for the rest of my life where would I have stood in terms of getting compensation to cover the costs?

Would comprehensive insurance cover the personal injury to myself or just the bike and what would happen with TP or TPFT?
Old 13-04-06, 08:05 AM   #2
Jelster

Pedestrian accidents are a pain. In court you have a job to prove anything against them, and as they don't have cover, there is little you can do. I hit a woman who ran into the road without looking about 3 years ago, about £400 of damage to my bike that I paid for...

Old 13-04-06, 08:12 AM   #3
Toypop

Wasn't there a case I read about on a forum recently where a woman walked out in front of a biker and the biker successfully sued?

Not sure where the money would come from though as the pedestrian won't have insurance.

Same applies with this incident with the kid, not sure if you could sue the parents? Pretty easy to prove his guilt as the accident happened underneath a footbridge and there were no pathways leading down into the cutting so he had no business being down there.
Old 13-04-06, 08:15 AM   #4
Peter Henry

On reading other forums,this kind of incident is worryingly far more common than I ever thought. Particularly in city and town centres during rush hour when pedestrians are rushing to get to their desks.

Apparently another big problem,due to the drink culture in the U.K: are people that are bombed out of their heads just stepping out with obviously no awareness of the situation around them.

It is a nasty situation and let's not forget that the biker given very little chance to react,stands to potentially get very seriously injured both physically and financially.
Old 13-04-06, 08:21 AM   #5
Jelster

Guy I know had his GSXR750 written off when a woman, drunk out of her head, ran into the road, taking him out. That was over 6 months ago and she is still in hospital. He doesn't have the heart to chase her family for the money, especially as she's still not home yet.

Old 13-04-06, 08:42 AM   #6
mysteryjimbo

Numerous times i've gone past school children who think its clever to try and "spook" bikers by running into the road and back again. Very common
Old 13-04-06, 08:42 AM   #7
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelster
Guy I know had his GSXR750 written off when a woman, drunk out of her head, ran into the road, taking him out. That was over 6 months ago and she is still in hospital. He doesn't have the heart to chase her family for the money, especially as she's still not home yet.

You got a nice mate. lol

If it were me i'd be knocking on her family door the day after demanding payment. So she's not home yet.. tough cookie - should have been more careful.

Got no time for people who get so smashed out of their heads they have no spacial awareness left.
Old 13-04-06, 08:46 AM   #8
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by getyerkneedown
Quote:

You got a nice mate. lol

If it were me i'd be knocking on her family door the day after demanding payment. So she's not home yet.. tough cookie - should have been more careful.

Got no time for people who get so smashed out of their heads they have no spacial awareness left.
Thats a harsh comment. 6 months in hospital is enough payment in my books. I'm sure she regrets it.
Old 13-04-06, 09:06 AM   #9
Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryjimbo
Quote:
Quote:

You got a nice mate. lol

Thats a harsh comment. 6 months in hospital is enough payment in my books. I'm sure she regrets it.
Doesnt pay for your repairs though does it?
Old 13-04-06, 09:09 AM   #10
tricky

Quote:
Just to play devils advocate for a moment: So you've never been in that state GYKD ?