SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-17, 09:34 PM   #21
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: chain goes loose then tight

no, the spindle is fixed and the wheel rotates round the spindle via the bearings. for the wheel to wobble with a bent spindle then the spindle would have to turn.

how the fek have you bent a spindle? that would take some real force to do.

when running the bike on a rear paddock stand does the rear sprocket wobble from side to side?

has the bike been rear end crashed by chance?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-17, 09:55 PM   #22
Stainlessniel

I bought it new in September. It's done 9000+, and I don't know how th #*%\ I've don't it pal, and it all seems to sit flush, as when u tighten it up it all pushes together as long as it's all been put in right, but if I hold a fixed ruler from the swing arm to the teeth of the sprocket, every full turn it scrapes a few teeth ever so slightly. After seeing the spindle I WAS happy to just buy a second hand spindle an throw it in(as long as it's straight) but after your reaction to it being bent I'm back to scratching my head! Lol

So if it's not the front shaft(front sprocket), an it's not the spindle, that only leaves, wheel bearings, or rear sprocket mounting or sprocket.
Mabey I'll try resetting the sprocket then lol....although it's had a lot of water ice an snow thrown at it this winter in sunny Manchester, plus a fair few power washes..... Mabey I've burnt the bearings out, but with little or no money, an 2 days till I leave for assen...on the bike, so I need a result quick lol

Last edited by Stainlessniel; 18-06-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 18-06-17, 10:39 PM   #23
Bibio
Mega Poster

if your going to assen then first off get a proper rivet link put on the chain.

my chain has the same amount of slack from tight spot so dont worry about that.

as for the slight wobble this can happen if the sprocket carrier is not fully home in the drive cushions, again dont worry too much as long as the rear axle is torqued/tightened up properly. once the rear axle nut is tightened up properly then nip the adjuster nuts up as well.

have you physically checked your wheel bearings? once the axle is tightened up and while on a paddock stand and holding the rear wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock pull/push from side to side then move wheel 1/4 turn and do the same. if there is any play (click click) then your wheel bearings are shot. do the same for the sprocket carrier.

have you checked to make sure that the inner sprocket carrier spacer is there, it goes between the wheel bearing and the carrier bearing on the inside and not the spacer on the outside?
Old 18-06-17, 10:44 PM   #24
Stainlessniel

Like a long tube with a ridge 1/4 way down. Then yeah....keep hearing a creak now an again when pulling of too...but the nuts are tight in the sprocket
Old 18-06-17, 10:45 PM   #25
Bibio
Mega Poster

oohh one more thing. if you put a little RRG on the carrier webbing that slides into the drive cushions it makes it slide on a lot easier. you need to physically push the carrier home on the cushions holding the sprocket at 3-9 o'clock and wobble it a little till it sits flush all round with the hub and cant be pushed any more.
Old 18-06-17, 10:48 PM   #26
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainlessniel View Post
Like a long tube with a ridge 1/4 way down. Then yeah....keep hearing a creak now an again when pulling of too...but the nuts are tight in the sprocket
yup thats the one. the creak could be anything from the rear calliper being a bit seized to the swingarm/linkage bearings.

Last edited by Bibio; 18-06-17 at 10:49 PM.
Old 19-06-17, 07:38 AM   #27
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainlessniel View Post
plus a fair few power washes..... l
Power washers can be very destructive, the high pressure can force water past seals, wash lube off brake calipers and also strip the fins off radiators. They can even strip paint off if used too enthusiastically.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-17, 05:28 PM   #28
Stainlessniel

#*%@ it, Ave booked it in with the dealer....I'll let you know what it was lol
(my bets are the output shaft)
Old 20-06-17, 01:03 PM   #29
Blapper

The spindle stays still when the wheel rotates.

Rotate your sprocket on the carrier by 180 degrees and measure again, then 90 and 180 remembering which is best and replace it in the most concentric position.

Power washers are the invention of the devil. No place for one in your bikes tool kit.

Last edited by Blapper; 20-06-17 at 01:06 PM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote