SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-05-18, 12:36 PM   #1
Tjuice

Default Are there any ABS versions of SV650S around?

I am sure that this has probably been covered in the archives, but I was unable to get the search function to allow me to use either sv650s or abs as search terms - it told me they are too common and so were not included in the search!

Anyhow, my question is this:
Are there actually (m)any SV650S with ABS actually out there on UK roads (and ideally for sale)? I'm looking at the earlier years that Suzuki was putting ABS on the 650 (supposedly), so 2007-2010 ish.

I am pretty new to biking (although over a quarter of a century of experience trouble-free driving on the road) and looking at getting my first big bike.
I'd like an SV650S, but am keen to get one with ABS (given my level of experience - I do not consider myself a riding god yet!)

I've been keeping an eye on autotrader and ebay for months, and have not seen a single SV650S with ABS. And just in case ABS did not feature in the description, I have looked at the photos carefully to see if I can see the ABS rotor on any of the wheels. Nothing.

So I am now wondering whether actually Suzuki didn't sell any with ABS in the UK in those early ABS years.

Anyone have any idea why I'm finding it so hard to find one?

Thanks
Tjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 12:55 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Are there any ABS versions of SV650S around?

It was only optional from 2007 onwards so maybe not many people spec'd it
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 02:01 PM   #3
Tjuice

That's what I was wondering, but I would have thought that some people would have speced it in the few years after it was introduced...

I believe there was a video around at the time where a pro (on an SV650) tested whether he could stop as quickly without ABS as he could with (he couldn't). I can't find it at the moment (and I don't mean the one on Youtube with the bike on stabilisers slamming the brake on in the most ridiculous way and sliding all over the place).
Tjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 02:55 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

ABS became mandatory in EU countries on bikes sold since Jan 2016, so AL7 will have it, but naked so not much use to you. I guess extra cost on a bike like SV would put buyers off having it if it was an option. It is useful on wet roads though, especially on roads with tar banding and roads with bare patches where 'top dressing' of gravel has been worn away.

The A in AL7 signifies ABS, don't know if they added prefix A to earlier models when they had ABS fitted.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-05-18 at 03:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 06:24 PM   #5
Talking Heads

I don't think any pointy ABS bikes ever made it to the UK, I don't recall it ever being offered here and I've never seen one advertised for sale here either.
ABS was an option on the Gladius though.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 07:02 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjuice View Post
That's what I was wondering, but I would have thought that some people would have speced it in the few years after it was introduced...

I believe there was a video around at the time where a pro (on an SV650) tested whether he could stop as quickly without ABS as he could with (he couldn't). I can't find it at the moment (and I don't mean the one on Youtube with the bike on stabilisers slamming the brake on in the most ridiculous way and sliding all over the place).
If you tried to sell a car these days without ABS (even if the law allowed it) you would be laughed at. ABS is one of the more useful things on modern vehicles, unlike infotainment screens (distracting drivers) lane guidance, auto lights and wipers (which most times don't work when they should) and all the other frills which add cost without adding usability.

The ABS on SV650 is not cornering angle sensitive ABS (nothing that sophisticated) but still nice to have.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-05-18 at 07:05 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote