SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-12-05, 06:31 PM   #1
andyaikido

Default Trackday tyre pressures?

Not a very seasonal question i know but what tyre pressures do you run on track? At Cadwell in June i had 31f and 33r shortly before i crashed , but that was on the oe Dunlops and i now have Diablos. I run the tyres at 33f, 36r on the road. Also, does the ambient/track temp make a big difference? ie: a trackday in March as aposed to one in August.
Old 20-12-05, 07:16 PM   #2
Mike1234

Default Re: Trackday tyre pressures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyaikido
Not a very seasonal question i know but what tyre pressures do you run on track? At Cadwell in June i had 31f and 33r shortly before i crashed , but that was on the oe Dunlops and i now have Diablos. I run the tyres at 33f, 36r on the road. Also, does the ambient/track temp make a big difference? ie: a trackday in March as aposed to one in August.
30 front 29 rear
Old 20-12-05, 10:19 PM   #3
andyaikido

Cheers, Mike. Will try them in March (and hopefully not crash again!)
Old 21-12-05, 11:44 PM   #4
Sloth

Default tyre pressures

Cadwells a great track - how did the SV perform? ah erm well until you binned it!!
Old 22-12-05, 08:49 AM   #5
PeterM

Yes track temperature does make a big difference.

Ideally, you want to set your tyres at a pressure where they will heat up and build pressure a couple of psi. I'd suggest that you may want to start with 30f/32r and check your tyres at the end of your 1st session. Depending on how you ride, they should be wearing evenly front & rear with the main thing is that they are both feathering evenly without cold-tearing.
Old 22-12-05, 12:40 PM   #6
andyaikido

In reply to Sloth: it did pretty well. It was a European Superbike School ( now out of business) trackday where everyone is timed and i got to the front of the intermediate group with some sports 600s. The bike was totally stock apart from R+Gs (thank god) and pegs were dragging everywhere. Only too much throttle and lean trying to go round the outside of someone through Chris Curve spoiled the day, wont be trying that again! Now fitting rearsets and a new exhaust and waiting for March and Oulton Park.
Old 22-12-05, 01:10 PM   #7
Mike1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM
Ideally, you want to set your tyres at a pressure where they will heat up and build pressure a couple of psi. I'd suggest that you may want to start with 30f/32r and check your tyres at the end of your 1st session.
General school of thought is that the rear should be a little softer that the front when it comes to track day pressures.
Old 22-12-05, 04:13 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

Plus, not all tyrs like lower pressures... For example, Roadtecs and Stradas aren't great track tyres anyway, but at lower pressures you'll start to get some unpleasant flex issues.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote