SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-06, 11:32 AM   #1
muffles

Default oxford front + rear paddock stands

i bought these at the NEC yesterday....

the rear i'm happy with (got hooks for my bobbins too) but the front...first, it comes with no instructions, so i had to look up how to fit the prongs onto the forks.

once i figured out that one prong goes underneath the fork, and one goes against the side of the fork facing the engine (that's right,...right?), i got it on the front stand...but oh boy does it not look that stable! it looks like the bike can slide forward off the prongs! but then, many of the pictures (of various makes) of front paddock stand use the same design...

does anyone have any experience and can re-assure me it's not going to pop off the front stand the minute someone breathes on it....!
Old 06-11-06, 04:52 PM   #2
SV650Racer

I use the Oxford front stand on my race bike mainly as its height adjustable so i dont have to loosen the mudguard to take out the front wheel and its the most stable stand i have ever had...BUT i have a GSXR front end in mind which may fit into the stand differently to yours.
Old 06-11-06, 05:05 PM   #3
weazelz

works fine on my SV. you really don't ever want to use the front stand on its own though, it's only there so hold the front *up*, you need a decent rear or abba stand to stop the bike rolling and/or tipping
Old 06-11-06, 05:53 PM   #4
muffles

its got an oxford rear on too, as i bought them as a pair, but it's just that design with the prongs (i've also seen a design with essentially a couple of rods that go up inside the bottom of the forks) that doesn't look very good. i guess i'd be happier with 3 prongs, i.e. one at the bottom and one at the front and rear of the fork.

i know you can get those fork bobbins, can't you? is it possible to therefore get hooks for the front paddock stand too? i think that would feel a lot more steady...