SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-03-22, 03:33 PM   #10571
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

its all a massive scam. my supplier is saying that they are 100% renewable for electricity, so why is there a price increase......

maybe the gov handouts are stopping.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-22, 04:03 PM   #10572
Grant66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
its all a massive scam. my supplier is saying that they are 100% renewable for electricity, so why is there a price increase......

maybe the gov handouts are stopping.
Probably because the wholesale cost has increased and leccy is sold at the wholesale price regardless of where it's generated.

On the plus side it makes renewable energy more profitable therefore quicker to recover the infrastructure costs, so it should lead to less burning of fossil fuel in the future.

Wholesale price isn't going to come down soon and may go up again in October.

Sent from an S20 using Tapatalk with that kin cr4p blocked
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-22, 04:09 PM   #10573
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant66 View Post
Probably because the wholesale cost has increased and leccy is sold at the wholesale price regardless of where it's generated.

On the plus side it makes renewable energy more profitable therefore quicker to recover the infrastructure costs, so it should lead to less burning of fossil fuel in the future.

Wholesale price isn't going to come down soon and may go up again in October.

Am sure it will go up again the same as everything ! Prices go up but any savings not so fast to be passed on to customer. Seem to remember seeing something about recent cut in fuel duty not all being passed on to customers.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-22, 04:17 PM   #10574
Grant66

Not forgetting that the standing charge had gone up by £30 due to Ofgem regulations.
The rest of the standing charge increase being due to the bail out of all those suppliers that went bankrupt.

So Mr & Mrs Minimum Wage is paying the same as Mr Moneybags for that.

Last edited by Grant66; 31-03-22 at 04:19 PM.
Grant66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-22, 10:26 AM   #10575
Bibio
Mega Poster

one ring to rule them all but in this case its Google..... its worse that clippy.

they now read your txt's and decide that they will arrange stuff for you... FUK RIGHT AFF. try and turn play services off and all it does is bug you with pop ups telling you that SMS wont work properly unless you turn play back on...

i was going to say are people that dumb that they need this but YES THEY ARE.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 10:58 AM   #10576
Seeker
Mega Poster

Laptop battery. I bought a Duracell laptop battery (because it was a branded name) on March 18th 2021. 53 weeks later it has failed, it has a 52 week warranty. Either I'm unlucky or Duracell have their warranty calculations down to a fine art.

I've contacted them anyway to see if they'll cover it. It says it's fully charged but dies immediately the power cable is removed which means a cell has probably died (says google).

I learned a new command though (which I'll have forgotten by tomorrow):
powercfg /batteryreport

which leaves an HTML file in your users directory describing the state of your battery. Interestingly my old super heavy duty battery that I've reverted to using is supposed to be 71280mW/h but it's now 36374mW/h which is probably why I replaced it. It demonstrates another characteristic of a failed cell - it counts down its available charge to about 20% and then, within a minute, is fully depleted.
Old 05-04-22, 11:45 AM   #10577
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Laptop battery. I bought a Duracell laptop battery (because it was a branded name) on March 18th 2021. 53 weeks later it has failed, it has a 52 week warranty. Either I'm unlucky or Duracell have their warranty calculations down to a fine art.

I've contacted them anyway to see if they'll cover it. It says it's fully charged but dies immediately the power cable is removed which means a cell has probably died (says google).

I learned a new command though (which I'll have forgotten by tomorrow):
powercfg /batteryreport

which leaves an HTML file in your users directory describing the state of your battery. Interestingly my old super heavy duty battery that I've reverted to using is supposed to be 71280mW/h but it's now 36374mW/h which is probably why I replaced it. It demonstrates another characteristic of a failed cell - it counts down its available charge to about 20% and then, within a minute, is fully depleted.
I ordered a laptop battery on ebay , it didn't last long either. I gave up on battery and just use laptop plugged in to mains.
Old 05-04-22, 01:16 PM   #10578
redtrummy

My drill battery has failed - can I get a replacement, no - looked into replacing the cells myself £7+ per cell need 5 = £35. The drill complete £30 (Aldi) This is wanton throw away- Loads nearly fit, surely a case for universal fitting being made compulsory. I read that an early range of Aldi multi fit Ferrex power tool batteries had been discontinued as well.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 04:58 PM   #10579
Ruffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post

Don't get hung up on warranty periods. There's a fair bit of law that may be able to help you if they don't come back with a helpful suggestion and you need to be more forceful.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (see Section 14, as amended by Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994) requires items to have "fitness for purpose", based on the judgement of a reasonable person. There's also stuff in the Consumer Rights Act 2015, including similar terms about judging "satisfactory quality" and a further 'reasonably fit for purpose" expectation.

I think it's entirely reasonable to expect a satisfactory lifespan for a laptop rechargeable battery to be greater than 53 weeks before total failure so I'd petition them on that basis to have it replaced for free.

"Out of warranty" is not a defence against statutory obligation on the seller, even out of warranty you can still reject an item that's "not of satisfactory quality" or "not fit for purpose" and demand replacement at least (possibly even full refund by virtue of cancelling the sale contract - but that probably needs a proper lawyer to deal with other aspects of the relevant legislation. Also <pedant> I'm assuming that you didn't agree to waive statutory rights - but that's unlikely, and even then I'd be awkward and at least try to claim that it was an unfair contract if it was only buried in small print.)

The law is not just for lawyers - research your rights, build the claim and have a go!
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-22, 11:02 PM   #10580
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
Don't get hung up on warranty periods. There's a fair bit of law that may be able to help you if they don't come back with a helpful suggestion and you need to be more forceful.

The Sale of Goods Act 1979 (see Section 14, as amended by Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994) requires items to have "fitness for purpose", based on the judgement of a reasonable person. There's also stuff in the Consumer Rights Act 2015, including similar terms about judging "satisfactory quality" and a further 'reasonably fit for purpose" expectation.

I think it's entirely reasonable to expect a satisfactory lifespan for a laptop rechargeable battery to be greater than 53 weeks before total failure so I'd petition them on that basis to have it replaced for free.

"Out of warranty" is not a defence against statutory obligation on the seller, even out of warranty you can still reject an item that's "not of satisfactory quality" or "not fit for purpose" and demand replacement at least (possibly even full refund by virtue of cancelling the sale contract - but that probably needs a proper lawyer to deal with other aspects of the relevant legislation. Also <pedant> I'm assuming that you didn't agree to waive statutory rights - but that's unlikely, and even then I'd be awkward and at least try to claim that it was an unfair contract if it was only buried in small print.)

The law is not just for lawyers - research your rights, build the claim and have a go!
See my post today on hugger. That was my argument, that if an item fails /cracks due to a design fault ( not enough clearance between hugger and part of original bike in my hugger case) it is not fit for purpose. I am not going to lose any sleep over it but it would be nice if my argument was accepted. (or maybe the design only allowed for suspension compression for a rider up to a certain weight !!!)