SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-02-12, 09:31 AM   #1
The Idle Biker

Default A dremel or similar?

So I get my track bike fairings back from a sprayer. A mate of a mate, with mate rates prices. False economy! The guy was asked to turn a black and white fairing into Black and Blue. What do I get back? Black and White still!

Sod it, I took them anyway. Not only that but I asked him to do some repairs, especially around where the sidestand comes through the lower fairing. I said don't make it smaller when you repair it, make it bigger so the sidestand can get through. He didn't, he made it smaller. So now I can't get the lower fairing on properly.

I need to make the hole bigger. I think I need a Dremel or similar. I don't want to spend a lot because I don't think I'll use it often. I spotted this. Do you think it will fit the usual Dremel type bits and accessories?

Any better (cheap) options? Ta folks, advice appreciated.

Amazon cheapy silverline
Old 13-02-12, 09:39 AM   #2
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: A dremel or similar?

I have one of those silverline jobbies, it does the job I require of it. It comes with a couple of collet sizes so you can fit a range of accessories.
Old 13-02-12, 10:13 AM   #3
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

They all use pretty much the same size cutters and as Tim said they come with different size collets. Keep an eye out in aldi and lidl as they some times sell big bit boxes on the cheap.

I've blown up loads of cheap ones. They're good on plastic but I used mine for all sorts, last one I blew was trying to cut the head of a cam tentioner bolt. Works out false economy eventually so I shelled out on a proper dremel.

Just keep the receipts.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 13-02-12 at 10:14 AM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 10:29 AM   #4
Specialone

Imo, get one of these instead, much more versatile, will last longer and there is no end of uses.
You can get 10mm wide blades that are extremely accurate to use.
Ive got the fein version of this which cost nearly 3 times this amount as they were the first to sell the technology, had it over 6 years now.
Old 13-02-12, 10:41 AM   #5
The Idle Biker

Thanks Guys. Specialone you always buy proper tools. I'm just an odd jobber so I just can't bring myself to invest in the pukka stuff.

I needed a bit of reassurance, cheers. I ordered a Draper one.

tbh I'll probably sling the bike down the track and smash the fairings at some point knowing me, so I'll just crack on with cheap tools and a bit of cussing when I realise they're not as good as they need to be.
Old 13-02-12, 11:46 AM   #6
tigersaw
Mega Poster

I got that draper one, its all right.
Wear eye protection though for when the cutting disk explodes as they do too often
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-12, 04:42 PM   #7
Stuuk1

Mates rates or not. Take it back.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=56.143610,-3.174782
Member of the 1 litre club...
Old 08-04-22, 10:53 PM   #8
svenrico

Any recommendations on a current multitool ? I was going to go for a Dremel 3000 model but even that gets some 1 star ratings in reviews. There seem to be a lot of comments in reviews of various multitools of them overheating, discs exploding sort of thing so I am not sure which to choose.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 10:10 AM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

depends on what your going to use it for.

the cheaper ones dont have much torque and stall at low speeds. this can be annoying.

i have always used the ones form say aldi or lidl. the corded are better but less convenient.

having used both cheap ones and dremel i would say the dremel are better but not by much. get the biggest wattage ones you can afford.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 10:11 AM   #10
redtrummy

I am a cheap tool consumer! If its a tool thats likely to be used in a stationary position the I buy mains powered - no battery issues then.
My dremel clone is Aldi, had it years, hardly used it but its done the job when I have - rated 135watts

I also have an Aldi multitool , again mains powered and this is a game changer, its so versatile - the only recommendation is to buy quality blades. Its more or less made my jig saw redundant. Aldi and Lidl usually give a 3 year warranty so save the receipt.
With infrequent use I could not justify Bosch/Dewalt prices but if using regular I would consider better quality.
redtrummy is offline   Reply With Quote