SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-02-06, 12:40 PM   #1
Thaleshwar

Default Oiling / Lubricating the cables

Hi

Its recommended to lubricate the clutch and throttle cable on regular basis however I am finding almost impossible to do it as they are concealed or ducted / has sheath makes it impossible for oil to penetrate, any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 27-02-06, 02:03 PM   #2
empty

Remove cable from top most point, then use small dropper bottle to pour oil down cable. I use bicycle oil, since it comes in a handy bottle.

For clutch: Remove side panel hiding clutch mechanism, loosen locknut and wind out to give maximum slack. Do same at lever end, making sure that you line up the split in the ring and adjuster with the split in the lever. Remove cable. Oil. Rebuild.

For throttle cables I managed to remove without having to do bottom end, undo the screw that holds the plate on the bottom of the handlebars (where the cable goes in) and the plastic screw on the front cable, remove screw that holds assembly together, wiggle throttle around until you can remove both cables, oil, rebuild.

Choke - can't remember, been a while. Probably similar to throttle cables.

It's a bit of a fiddle but not that hard.

MT
Old 27-02-06, 04:13 PM   #3
tricky

Has anyone ever done it how its shown in the manual, with plaggy bags and stuff ?

Or did I dream that
Old 27-02-06, 04:34 PM   #4
Foey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Has anyone ever done it how its shown in the manual, with plaggy bags and stuff ?

Or did I dream that

No but iv'e seen it done, also seen it done by disconecting the upper end of the cable & making a funnel type thing at the end out of plastecine, pouring the oil in & leaving it to drain through.
Old 27-02-06, 04:42 PM   #5
Foey

Quote:

Or did I dream that

No but iv'e seen it done, also seen it done by disconecting the upper end of the cable & making a funnel type thing at the end out of plastecine, pouring the oil in & leaving it to drain through.
Old 27-02-06, 04:54 PM   #6
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:

Or did I dream that
I tried, but awfully messy and not that effective, possibly was doing it wrong. Also, Gaffa tape does not seal an oil coverd cable well
Old 27-02-06, 06:48 PM   #7
chazzyb

I've done the clutch cable from the clutch end using a hydraulic oiler. Made it much better.

There are too many adjusters and places for oil to leak from at the bar end for all the cables.
Old 28-02-06, 10:08 AM   #8
jambo
Mega Poster

I've tried to find hydraulic oilers and failed thus far, where did you get it?