SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 12-04-12, 10:43 AM   #1
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Helmets in the Paddock

It's quite common to see people riding round the paddocks or riding to noise testing without any helmet or protection at all.
I didn't put one on when I went to get noise tested at Cadwell last weekend.

However a bloke doing the same thing everyone else does was on his way up to noise testing at Snetterton on Monday managed to come off his bike and hit his head on the concrete in the paddock. Unfortunately he died from his injuries even after having immeidiate medical attention from the paramedics at the track and being air lifted to hospital.

According to eye witnesses he wasn't messing about and wasn't going fast. He just gave a small bits of revs whilst turning a corner and the rear slipped and pushed him off.

Just thought I'd share this to anyone doing trackdays in future and give them something to think about when they start to ride the bike around the paddock with or without a helmet.

I'm not saying people should wear helmets and certainly not preaching either way but if you are going to ride without a helmet then just be mindful of your speed, the people around you and anything that may pop out in front of you.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 10:46 AM   #2
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Re: Helmets in the Paddock

Bloody hell mate, that's very unlucky for the fella!

I've ridden without helmet quite a few times thinking I'll be ok but I think I'll stick it on from now on.. I wear one whenever I'm on the pushbike *just in case* so not sure why the same logic hasn't automatically carried across when I've been on trackdays & whatnot. Thanks for posting this

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 11:03 AM   #3
maviczap
Mega Poster

I've seen it quite a few times when I've done track days at Snetterton, but I always slip mine on, even just to ride to the noise testing. There's too many knob jockeys riding around for me to risk it

Sad for this bloke, as he obviously wasn't one of the idiots above, but head trauma from hitting concrete from even 5ft can obviously be fatal, so you've highlighted a good point.

I always ride my pushbike with a crash helmet too.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-12, 03:46 PM   #4
Whitty

That's awful! I never wear mine for sound testing at cadwell either buy I go mega slow. What baffles me is why people ride up and down with helmet perched on top of their head? It's uncomfy, dangerous if it falls and knocks you off or distracts you and you've gone to trouble of picking it up in first place? Not to mention value of a decent helmet.
Old 14-04-12, 01:19 PM   #5
L3nny
Mega Poster

I am surprised there isn't a all the gear all the time policy at track days. You can easily get up to 30mph in the paddock and cause you have been doing 100mph more than that a few minutes before it feels like you're hardly moving.

Feel sorry for the fella and his family, proper bad luck there.

I must admit I have have ridden around the paddock without a helmet, but it's normally at not much more than walking pace.
Old 15-04-12, 03:37 AM   #6
Mikey10

Bit of a sad one that but just goes to prove what can happen.

Problem with this is professional riders aren't setting an example I remember seeing my fav rider Biaggi coming down the paddock at easily 30 mph on his paggio no helmet cool as you like not a worry in the world but he could of easily hit someone and fallen and had a similar injuries or caused someone else injuries.
but nothing will ever be done because its private land so until the owners of these tracks or the officials holding the event put a rule in place that at least a minimum of your helmet like on the road should be worn at all times and speed not more than 15 mph in the paddock area to minimise the risks of fatal injuries which shouldn't be happening.
Old 15-04-12, 09:00 AM   #7
keith_d
Mega Poster

I read somewhere that even falling 5' onto your unprotected head can result in fatal injuries. This is how fatalities in street fights occur and means that even falling off at 10mph you could end up going home in a box.

Obviously, this could be propaganda from a helmet manufacturer, but it would explain why the accident in the original post was fatal.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 09:41 AM   #8
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

I've known someone who fell off a kerb, hit his head and died.
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 10:19 AM   #9
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Sad to here that one.

It is common during scrutineering for mechanics/ grease monkeys to ride the bikes to and from the bay without helmets (I've done this also) and through the paddock when checking them (but most paddocks have a self enforced 5 mph rule which most stick to)

Makes you think though.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-12, 12:12 PM   #10
flymo
Mega Poster

very unlucky for him. I hope this isn't the start though of another nanny state regulation that gets introduced as a result, if so I think it totally unnecessary.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote