SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 22-07-06, 12:45 PM   #1
Chris V

Default What quality is downloaded music

When you download music for free you are happy to settle for MP3 but if paying about £1 per track what quality (file type) do you get?
Old 22-07-06, 12:51 PM   #2
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I would like at least 192kbps CBR or a high quality VBR file.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-06, 01:12 PM   #3
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Aren't these both compressed formats
Old 22-07-06, 01:17 PM   #4
jonboy

Yes they're compressed, but the higher the bitrate the less compression, and audio "artefacts" will be less too.

I certainly wouldn't pay £1 a track, http://www.allofmp3.com tends to be a little controversial but the price is right and you can select the quality.

196 is okay but nowhere near audio CD standards. 128 is listenable to, but you'll definitely notice audio artefacts in the higher frequencies (that's of course if you've a sensitive ear). If I were paying for a download I wouldn't want it less than 256 bit.

Old 22-07-06, 01:21 PM   #5
Chris V

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Yes they're compressed, but the higher the bitrate the less compression, and audio "artefacts" will be less too.

I certainly wouldn't pay £1 a track, http://www.allofmp3.com tends to be a little controversial but the price is right and you can select the quality.

196 is okay but nowhere near audio CD standards. 128 is listenable to, but you'll definitely notice audio artefacts in the higher frequencies (that's of course if you've a sensitive ear). If I were paying for a download I wouldn't want it less than 256 bit.

Thanks Jonboy, but is it possible to download CD quality anywhere apart form a mates disc?
Old 22-07-06, 01:21 PM   #6
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM
Aren't these both compressed formats
yes, but you are talking about MP3, they are diffrent ways to compress MP3, CBR = Constant Bit Rate, VBR = Variable Bit Rate, CBR will always create a constant file size per min of audio at any given bit rate but if there is too much musical detail then some may get lost thus needing a higher bit rate to store it, down side is that it will still make a large file even if there was no audio in the track as its a Constant Bit Rate, VBR on the other hand is Variable, so it adapts to the music, adjusting the Bit Rate on the fly. In general it creates smaller size files, but sometimes if on max quality can still create larger files than a 192kbps CBR file. I like VBR files as its the best of both worlds, one down side i have found to VBR files is that some players cant determin the length of the track, so it may say 10mins but its actualy only 5mins. Not a major prob though.

If you can download in APE then that is a losless compressable format which is cool.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-06, 01:26 PM   #7
Sudoxe

Quote:
[
Thanks Jonboy, but is it possible to download CD quality anywhere apart form a mates disc?
Yes, look out for FLAC files. Dont know who sells them though.

Dan
Old 22-07-06, 01:31 PM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Well technically, no. But (though it's a much debated subject) I personally don't believe it's possible to tell the difference between the quality of CD audio and MP3 (or Windows Media file) at a bit rate of 320. So if you're able to download at this rate you honestly won't be disappointed.

As for CBR against VBR, again a much argued subject. Personally I'd go for a Constant Bit Rate encoding as then you'll be guaranteed the quality you want, even if the file size is slightly larger.

Old 22-07-06, 01:32 PM   #9
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
Dont know who sells them though.
No-one .

Old 22-07-06, 01:47 PM   #10
Chris V

Thanks guys, always an education on this Site