SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-03-06, 06:33 PM   #1
Ceri JC

Default Bye bye licence

Ho hum. Well, I always said if I lost my licence it'd be "in one fell swoop", getting caught from hundreds of metres away on a clear road doing a ton. As opposed to "accumulating" speed camera points (I previously had a clean licence) with stupid blindly driving through cameras in 30s at 40 or whatever.

Got a letter in the post today, I was caught doing 102 in a 70. Naughty, naughty, fair enough. What made me chuckle is that it wasn't on my bike. This was in a hire car (Corsa SXI+ 1.4) I had for work and I was driving back from work. Middle of the afternoon, nothing on the road, great conditions. I vaugely remember seeing a camera van just round a sweeping bend, but I also remember slowing as soon as I saw it. I don't normally "cruise" at a ton, let alone higher, so I can't believe I was going quicker and they caught me (at 102) slowing from a higher speed. I know those things have a ridiculous range (even if it's extremely debatable whether they're accurate at those distances, or at all, it seems it's not open for discussion in court). I accept they may have caught me at the exact instant I came into view before I had a chance to slow down, but it still sounds a bit quick to me. I thought speedos read quite proud at those sort of speeds, what would it have been showing; 110, 115?! Naturally I'll ask to see the footage/pictures, I would have said I was doing nearer 90 (still bad, but no ban).

The section of road A449 and time/date ties in with my work, so I don't think this is cloning or someone at the hire car company trying to palm off the blame, etc.

I know the general rule is 100+ (or rather > posted limit + 30) = instant ban. However, I do have a (previously) completely clean bike and car licence and I sort of need my car for work.

Now, the position with work is tricky; For my current role I don't absolutely categorically need a car. However, the role I am in training for does definately need a licence. I do also sometimes require a car for work (it was on business after all that I got busted) so whilst I could still do useful work, it would affect the business. There is also the issue of getting into the office. Whilst I work at home a lot (don't think I'll mention that in court ), I am contractually office based and need to go in. The journey I have to make to the office simply cannot be done on public transport (as in not possible; not "I'm a primadona and don't like the public"), so I cannot get in without the licence. I've heard of (and some of the guys in work have had this) people not actually getting banned, but just getting a licence with loads of points.

I've also just (today) started biking IAM and if I get 7 or more points on my licence, I can't do that. Is it worth mentioning in court that I have just started that and a ban/loads of points will stop me from persuing this (which theoritically, could cure me of my addiction to speed ). Or could it possibly work against me? Don't really see how as I'm only in training; I know if you have a full advanced licence and bring it up they can throw the book at you, the thinking being, "you should know better" and also that it's likely egotism on the part of the person concerned (I'm an advanced driver, so speed limits don't apply to me). Would they, through some twisted logic, see it as irrelevant? "Well Mr. Charlton, the speed on your motorcycle doesn't appear to be the problem..."

I had actually been planning to start car IAM as soon as I bought a car (been planning on taking a car allowance one I was trained in my new role in work and spending it on a car- may well take a company car now and let them insure me) and had finished the bike one. I've attended one of the local IAM car group meetings, but other than that, have no "proof" as such. Worth mentioning this?

Something else and this might sound like wriggling, but it's the truth. 99% of my driving was in a ratty old 106. It was really noisy (engine and wind) as soon as you hit 75, so consequently I went slower. Something I've found every time I've driven another car is that on the motorway I glance at my speedo and find I'm going faster than I thought, simply because the sense of speed is so much less. Sort of the opposite of ripping the fairing off a bike. Is it worth mentioning this in my defense (it is sincere/true), or will it look like I'm trying to just get out of it. Would it even count against me; "So Mr. Charlton, not only were you speeding, but in an unfamiliar car?!"

What can I expect, 28 days ban? How many points when I get my licence back? How much will it affect my insurance premiums (age 24)?

One last thing, am I right in thinking at this stage of the game there is no need to mention this to my insurer? Only once I actually have the points or ban/whatever?

Sorry for a long post, lots to cover/check. Thanks in advance for any advice/criticism. Ta. Right, I'm off out in my new hire car to enjoy freedom while it lasts...
Old 18-03-06, 06:45 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Oh, one more thing; What's the timeframe for them to do this/call you to court? The date of the letter is 17/03/06, but the actual "act" was dated 09/02/06. I take it camera vans are the ones that they're allowed to take 6 months over, rather than 14 days (cameras?)?

Also it says, "Camera Device" could that that mean a fixed camera? I don't recall any on that road/certainly no flashes on the day in question, hence my assumption it must be a van.
Old 18-03-06, 06:50 PM   #3
jim@55

sorry to hear this ,bad luck .ah well .have a look on pepipoo theres a section on fines/periods of disqualification and the bods on there know theyr stuff ,if therys any possible way out of this(no ban/points situation)theyll know.let me know how u get on as i was going to lose my licence ,but its all sorted and im still riding (with 6 points ) but as you say ,btr that than a ban
Old 18-03-06, 06:57 PM   #4
Professor

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Ceri.

Don't know what you should expect. My only experience is getting
recently caught doing 68 in a temporary 50 zone on the M4 (around
junction 10). I didn't see the 50 sign, and I saw the camera too
late due to fog. I got 3 points which I reported to the insurance
company once the points actually appeared on my license. And, the
annoying thing is that, as you, I got caught in my cage. I wouldn't
mind going down as a hero biker but getting caught in my Hyundai
Accent really upset me.

I vaguely recall that there are people on the forum who got caught
doing just under a ton and got away with a fine and points
(jonboy?). Don't know whether a few extra mph is critical in these
cases.

It is weird that it has taken so long for the authorities to produce your
letter. In my case it arrived 6 days after the offence. Isn't there
some rule that they have to inform you of the offence within a
certain time?
Old 18-03-06, 06:58 PM   #5
rigor

First, get yourself over to http://www.pepipoo.com/ straight away. TONS of useful info over there. And from my (dodgy) memory the camera guys have a time limit to send you the letter, which you MAY be out of .... but I may be wrong, get over there and check it all out.

And on a positive note this 100mph = ban stuff is not 100% accurate. The courts still have discretion, as in my case. Caught at 101.2 in my car on the a3 (average speed over a measured distance) With 3 points already on my licence and a previous 28 day ban I was sure I was going to be off the road for a long spell. End result was 6 points and a 300 pound fine, which IMO had MUCH more affect on my driving speed than anything else would have (in the long term).

So there it is, find out where you stand. Ask advice at Pepipoo and be prepared to grovel in court, and best of luck.

P.S. On the insurance side, you don't need to mention it until convicted afaik.
Old 18-03-06, 07:00 PM   #6
mac

They have more time to do you if they have to find the driver ( ie company car or hire car - got done in my company car and it took 5 weeks to get to me ).
Old 18-03-06, 07:02 PM   #7
jim@55

yes ,they have to do things by the book .they (the police/scp/whoever) have to notify you /issue an nip within 14 days of the offence and send it too u by first class post..lots of technicalities here ,,get onto pepipoo as iv said loads of info and good advice ,
Old 18-03-06, 07:11 PM   #8
svsk2

You'll probably be summonsed to court due to the chance of getting a ban. IMO best bet is to take it on the chin (it only winds the magistrates up if you try to evade responsibility), emphasise the need for your licence for your job, apologise most sincerly and perhaps suggest that they should give you a higher fine/points rather than a ban. I would also suggest booking a road safety course, or bike safe course before any hearing, to learn the error of your ways. And wear a suit.
Old 18-03-06, 07:11 PM   #9

Have a look at this, http://www.whitedalton.co.uk/photo.php.
Mate of mine got done a few years back for doing a estimated speed of 117, his boss went to court with him & explained that if he lost his liscense he'd loose his job wich meant he'd also be homeless as he lived in a tied house, in the end he got a big fine and a bigger b*llocking.
Old 18-03-06, 07:30 PM   #10
Patch

Ceri here's a bit of advice for you. Do not admit to being the driver. Force them into doing you for section 172. The company response to their 172 notice is not enough to convict you of speeding.

If you refuse to name the driver the section 172 offence carries a 3 point penalty they can not ban you for section 172.