SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-01-07, 12:35 PM   #11
SVeeedy Gonzales

You could use something like ultraseal. I was riding with an IAM observer and his (brand new) rear got badly torn at 70mph. Instead of dumping him, it lost pressure over a slightly longer time and it gave him time to reduce speed. Had to get a new one fitted and there was a trail of ultraseal up the road, but it worked for him. I had it put in mine when I got my tyres changed a few months later, as much for punctures as for a blow out.
Old 25-01-07, 08:53 AM   #12
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy
truck tyres (this spellcheck is sh*t, it reckons "tyre's" is correct ) are super expensive- never mind the amount needed. So instead of buying new tyres they remould them, putting extra rubber on the outside. So they easily fall to pieces. Mix this with the fact that the majority of trucks aren't exactly well maintained and KABOOM!!
Truck tyres don't exactly fall to pieces 'cos they're badly made, the reason why you see those big black rubber rings at the side of the motorway is quite different. Simply put a truck tyre because of the load it carries gets hot if there is a deflation as the tyre flexes an enormous amount causing a lot of internal friction between the elements that make up the tyre. At speed, ie on a motorway, this happens surprisingly quickly, and as there are perhaps a dozen or more other wheels on the truck it's not unusual for the driver not to realise as the handling doesn't change significantly, particularly when driving in a straight line, this why they fail, not because they are remoulds.
Most large vehicle tyres are regrooveables rather than remoulds, which is where the tyre is produced with very thick outer layer of tread compound, the tread isn't cut full depth as the resulting tall and narrow blocks of rubber would flex too much causing excessive tyre heat, which would accelerate wear greatly. When the tread reaches a minimum depth the tread pattern is recut.
Generally a bike tyre won't get hot enough to structurally fail, simply because as we only have two wheels any deflation that would lead to excessive tyre flex and overheating won't long go un-noticed. As we now mostly have tubeless tyres the major cause of rapid deflation is no longer relevant.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-07, 10:05 AM   #13
Dysparunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysparunia
which I'm sure someone clever then me could explain.
Told ya.
Old 31-01-07, 04:13 PM   #14
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

It happened to me on holiday, was on a scooter (I hate them things) on a REALLY gravelly road, the bike was weaving left to right already because of all the loose stone. Doing about 35-40 I would estimate and the back tyre went.

I was lucky and didn't come off, I wanted to bin it cos we were approaching a junction with trucks going past but my mate wouldn't jump, lucky again really because all I had on was shorts and flip flops and the 'road' would have ripped me apart and to the right was another 2 foot drop onto baked hard dirt with snakes hanging around.

There was LOADS of fish tailing and me pooing myself, not a pleasant experience and NOT one I ever want to go through again.

Look right-> <-Look Left
_Stretchie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-07, 06:44 PM   #15
oldjack

I used Ultraseal to try to fix a slow puncture but it didn't, just kept oozing out. The sales blurb says it is used by the South African police and will prevent deflation even if punctured by a bullet. I don't believe it. I have heard anecdotal claims similar to SVeedy gonzales though, so it must work in some situations.