SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 21-04-08, 07:22 AM   #1
Cam_73

Default gremlins!

Looking for some advice (bike related)

Had the bike out yesterday, done half of Ayrshire I think found some nice little B-roads I'll be going back to, when i fugure out what's wrong.

Speedo seems to be working ok again. Although after cleaning the bike down it wont start. Key on is ok, everything switches on, no errors on clock, thumb the starter and it clicks, but no turn over. I think the starter motor might be playing up?

Might be coincidence it has only happened after washing the bike. need to check fuses and stuff too.

I'll try it when I get home tonight.

Any thoughts what it might be?

Cheers
Old 21-04-08, 08:34 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: gremlins!

Lights etc will come on with a low voltage, but turning the engine over can kill it all.

I had this, turned out to be a loose connection to the battery - the barest connection was fine to run the lights etc, but load would freak it out.

Check the terminals are well screwed down.

Other than that - well the battery itself would me my next stop.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-08, 11:28 AM   #3
Cam_73

yeah, going to check the battery tonight, although just having got back from a 3 hour run around I thought it would be ok. Can't say unless i check though.

Thanks for the pointer SK.
Old 21-04-08, 06:10 PM   #4
Cam_73

checked battery , fine on 13v. Checked battery terminals, okay, tight clean and greased, checked fuses all ok.

Checked starter motor, connection post had some crud on it under the boot and seems to be a bit loose in the casing. Tried to get the connector cable off, no joy. Looks like the nut is stiuck on, so for the moment, a good hosing with penetrant and wd40 after cleaning up with a wire brush.

I'm thinking there might be some water got in through the connector post on the case, if it's not tight then the o-ring and sealing washers probably weren't up to much. Only washed it with a garden hose mind, but i think it might be the starter motor.