SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-10, 09:12 PM   #11
ChrisSV

Default Re: A new project (includes pics)

those downpipes came up a treat, nice one, am looking forward to even more updates
Old 20-06-10, 09:19 PM   #12
Specialone

Good work dude, spray can finish wont last on parts like that i think, be interesting to see if it does last.

Those downpipes look excellent, jimi hendrix rocks as well, i approve

What did you get 'are you experienced' ?
Old 20-06-10, 09:29 PM   #13
TamSV
Mega Poster

You might be right on the paint job. Time will tell.

The album was Fire. Kicks off with Purple Haze..."scuse me, while I fix this bike". I believe these are the correct lyrics.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 09:57 PM   #14
TamSV
Mega Poster

Been spending my time cleaning and polishing bits and pieces. Like these

I put the frame on the engine rather than the engine in the frame (no trolley jack).

I'd put all the bolts and spacers in freezer bags and written on the bags where they were for. This was handy but, to be honest, once I got to it there's really only one way it can all go together. Torque the adjuster bolts to 10Nm against the engine. Then the locknuts and the nuts on the two long bolts that pass through the engine, followed by the other smaller bolts on each side. Can't remember the torque settings but it's more than 10Nm

Then I heaved it up onto the ABBA stand. I did it on my own and it was quite heavy . No major drama though. If you do this make sure you have had extra porridge.
Note the patented TamSV headstock stand/bird table. It took me literally minutes to construct this masterpiece.

I've found a naked loom so I'm waiting for that to arrive in the post.

Last edited by TamSV; 23-06-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 23-06-10, 10:00 PM   #15
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Naked loom is different, but as stock puts loads of connectors inside the headlight.

Looks like you are doing a good job
Old 23-06-10, 10:07 PM   #16
TamSV
Mega Poster

I've also got myself some GSXR bits for the front so I knocked out the upper bearing race. I did this with the frame on the deck upside down so it was easier than normal. I couldn't get enough purchase on the race and my "special tool" kept slipping off so I got the dremel in behind it and widened the notches.

Got my new TWF bearing the other day - great service. The race is in the freezer with the sausages at the mo.

A useful "how to". In the midst of it all I was presented with this.

Open the ring with a flat bladed screwdriver. Place the flower back on so there is equal distance between the butterfly, pussy cat and flower. Close the ring with pliers. Present to delighted number 1 daughter.
Old 23-06-10, 10:22 PM   #17
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Naked loom is different, but as stock puts loads of connectors inside the headlight.

Looks like you are doing a good job
Cheers.

So with the naked loom have I just got a slightly different nightmare?

Oh yeah, I meant to mention for everyone's benefit it's worth checking the suspension linkage on your old curvy's. The swingarm bearings were clean with a decent amount of grease but the linkage was as dry as an old stick and starting to rust up.

I groaned when the first spacer squeaked its way out but it all cleaned up nicely and the bearings gobbled up a big glob of grease each.
Old 23-06-10, 10:22 PM   #18
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yeah, wiring is the devil.
Old 23-06-10, 11:09 PM   #19
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

tam u mark up the old loom? Tht may help with the bulk of it.↲Electrics are where i pay sum1 else

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-10, 11:24 PM   #20
TamSV
Mega Poster

Yeah. As I was dismantling it I was sticking bits of masking tape on the connectors with "sidestand switch" etc written on them.

It was slow going but I'll be glad I did it. I took a few photos too.

I was pretty thorough cos the wiring is the one thing that worries me. Even so, I've noticed I've left a couple of mystery connectors just to keep things interesting.

Best of all, if I'm really stuck I can just lift the tank on my other SV and take a butchers.