SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-01-12, 12:49 PM   #1
musne

Default Inlet Blade & Throttle Stop restriction - can I remove it myself?

*inlet blade* Title typo

Hi all, here I am once again shamefully asking for advice and guidance from the org.

My K6 has an inlet blade & throttle stop 33bhp restrictor fitted. One garage quoted £80 - 120 to remove and another quoted £120.

I really don't want to pay them that much to remove it, I would be happier doing it myself - but I'm not a pro at all!

Or I would even pay someone to come and take it off for me if they feel confident in doing so!

So basically, I would like a step by step guide on removing it myself, or I would pay someone to come and do it

Last edited by musne; 22-01-12 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 22-01-12, 04:59 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Inlet Blad & Throttle Stop restriction - can I remove it myself?

It's doable yourself.

Where are you based?
Old 22-01-12, 06:04 PM   #3
musne

That's excellent to hear, the garage I spoke to gave me some crap about how complex it is and it would take around 3 hours labour! :\

Location - Kent, Gillingham! ME8
Old 22-01-12, 06:31 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

yeah easy enough to do, although you have to strip the tank back and airbox off, can be a little tricky if the throttle stop is on the body end, but take your time and you shouldn't have a problem.

You're not a friend of Craig's by any chance ? was down in Gillingham yesterday myself.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-12, 06:40 PM   #5
musne

Ok thanks, but is it possible to get a more detailed set of instructions, I'm just a noobie and don't want to mess anything up - my bike is mostly stripped at the moment because I'm doing a little project, but would like to get it redistricted too.

Sorry, I'm probably not a friend of the Craig you speak of, I live in Gillingham now, but it's only temporary (For another few months possibly) so I don't know anyone here really!
Old 22-01-12, 06:41 PM   #6
musne

instructions with pictures would be great!

By the way, I came across this thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=78297 back from 2006.

Not sure if it's relavant to myself?
Old 22-01-12, 06:49 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

unfortunately it's not a standard thing and can be done in a number of ways, basically on the injected models it's either an ECU restriction , which involves a change of the unit itself, a fairly simple thing, or (as in the carbed type as well) a physical restriction, this is normally two parts one being a flow restrictor (normally some sort of washer type thing) on the inlets and the other part something to limit full movement of the throttle travel, there are different kits and ways of doing it and only if someone had exactly the same kit could they do a "step by step" guide, but it's not hard to see where & how on your own bike these have been fitted, if you've got a manual, you'll be able to see which parts aren't standard and remove them.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 22-01-12, 06:52 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by musne View Post
instructions with pictures would be great!

By the way, I came across this thread http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=78297 back from 2006.

Not sure if it's relavant to myself?
just be aware the throttle stop can be either end, so in the grip bit or on the throttle cam on the bodies, so check both.

Cheers Mark.
Old 22-01-12, 06:52 PM   #9
musne

Ok thanks, I guess I'll have to dig around and see what I can do.

I would still appreciate if someone can come over and help an SV friend in-need!
Old 22-01-12, 06:59 PM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

it's possible one evening, but a 70 mile round trip for me, how far are you from the big "toys r us" on the A229?

but have a look yourself, not that hard really.