SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 02-02-18, 09:32 PM   #1
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Insurance question and hello

hello I have a question and this is one of the only sensible places to ask

I've bought a new bike and this evening I tried to add it to my existing multibike policy with Bennetts. I was put on hold and then informed that my current policy underwriter won't cover the new bike in a timber garage and that my current bikes aren't covered either as they're declared as being kept in a brick garage. It's not a shed but a purpose built timber workshop and at no point have I stated that it was brick built over the number of years since I built it.

After hanging up I read through all of my documents and nowhere does it say that the garage is brick built, nothing in the small print, the bennetts policy booklet just states it has to be a lockable building and doing another quote through the website just states "garaged" (which is how I took the policy out), nothing dictates what the building has to be constructed of and the definition of a garage according to the Cambridge dictionary is that a garage is as follows;

Quote:
  1. a building for housing a motor vehicle or vehicles.
    "a detached house with an integral garage"
    synonyms:car port, lock-up More"he let them park in his garage"

depot, terminus, terminal, base, headquarters;
    bus station, coach station
    "a new bus garage was to be built"
    • an establishment which sells fuel or which repairs and sells motor vehicles.
      synonymspetrol station, service station; informalservo
      "she called at the garage for petrol"
  2. 2.
    a style of unpolished, energetic rock music associated with suburban amateur bands.
    "a garage band"
  3. 3.
    a form of dance music incorporating elements of drum and bass, house music, and soul, characterized by a rhythm in which the second and fourth beats of the bar are omitted.
verb
verb: garage; 3rd person present: garages; past tense: garaged; past participle: garaged; gerund or present participle: garaging
  1. 1.
    put or keep (a motor vehicle) in a garage.
    "the car needn't be garaged in the winter"
nothing in regards to construction, so I called them back.

They then informed me that it would depend on what the terms and conditions were of the policy underwriter at the time of taking out the policy as they change all the time depending on crime statistics. I then informed then that they didn't send me the terms and conditions and i've never seen them so how would I know what they were let alone had chance to read them, I was told to call back in the morning.

How the hell can they do any of this, If they only insure in garages of certain construction then surely this must be made aware to you?

The workshop is steel meshed and double skinned, the doors are tripple locked and steel plated and the whole thing is alarmed on the doors, windows and has motion detection, the bikes are chained plus I have a rottweiler. Its probably a damn sight more secure than your average "garage" plus its contents is covered on my home insurance. None of this is because it's a bad area, I don't see why it should be easy if they tried it.

Also whilst reading the small print my bikes are only covered from theft in my "garage" between the hours of 10pm and 6am

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis

Last edited by Wideboy; 02-02-18 at 09:35 PM.
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 09:49 PM   #2
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Insurance question and hello

Sorry, no idea. But damn that's ****e. Not unexpected, but ****e.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 09:52 PM   #3
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Insure it as parked on the driveway. No time restraints or get out clauses for them that way.

Welcome back btw
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 10:09 PM   #4
Chris_SVS

They sound like a right shower of sheet
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 09:55 AM   #5
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

parked on the driveway pretty much doubles my premium.

It's legalised robbery. They're quick to shaft you in the slightest error but it doesn't seem to matter when its the other way around.

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 05:21 PM   #6
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

As Darren says, welcome back.

Sounds like a complaint to the Ombudsman is in order if they keep this up. The cover only extending between certain hours also seems unfair, especially as the hours not covered are the ones when most of us are out at work.
Old 03-02-18, 07:18 PM   #7
Red ones
Mega Poster

On the hours thing does it actually mean that the bike has to be in the garage overnight if it's at home?
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 09:53 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Call them back, get them to send you the terms and conditions along with acknowledging that they have not sent them previously. If the T&C's say it must be a brick built garage then it would look that you are not covered. And at that point I would ask for a full refund of the premium and any previous premiums that you have had with them as though you disclosed all material facts they did not and in my opinion (which is frankly worthless) you have been miss sold. They will obviously refuse so you then have to take them to the ombudsman. Good luck.

The theft coverage between certain hours is just to ensure that you lock the bikes up in the garage when you go to bed. Or at least thats how I interpret that as I've seen that on all the policies I've had.

Oh and, hello stranger.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote