SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-08-06, 11:50 PM   #1
roconnor14

Default Clothing a naked bike?

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I am hoping that someone here has some experience that will help me. I have a 2004 SV650 (American model, but the same I think). I am thinking about buying the fairing from an S model and putting it on my bike. My question is whether or not this is possible. Will the fairing bolt on? Will the handlebars work? Any advie is appreciated!
Old 31-08-06, 01:36 PM   #2
Davido

Unless you have the mounting brackets for the frame as well, then nope. (side panels) they have the same frame, so I don't see why it shouldn't fit. But you'll need a different subframe to mount the front fairing. The bars might have a clearance issue wih the fairing, in which case you'll need a new yoke/clip on set.

Not really worth the hassle imo, sell it and buy something else.
Old 31-08-06, 03:19 PM   #3
klohiq

There's a decent write-up here: http://svrider.com/tips/svsfairing.htm

It's not really worth it IMO and it may be harder to sell the bike after the conversion since it's easier to mickey mouse it rather than do it exactly like Suzuki make the 's' model. Money would be better spent saving up for a different bike or maintenance/upgrades like tires, chain, clip-ons.

It's your money though, I just think if you want wind protection look into fly screens from companies such as givi. You can even convert a ducati monster flyscreen for the sv650 if you have some metal fabrication skills. And if you want a fairing for looks, sad to say it, but you probably should have bought an 's' model to begin with.
Old 31-08-06, 03:33 PM   #4
carlos

Fitting a standard SV fairing is pointless waste of cash, a decent aftermarket full fairing may look good though.

I'd love the 2wheeljunkie fairing for my curvy but too pricy for me.
Old 31-08-06, 05:10 PM   #5
roconnor14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klohiq
I've read that one and it's for the first generation sv. When you say curvey, do you mean 1st generation? Thanks for all the replies. It isn't something that I'm seriously considering, but I was just wondering if it was a simple bolt-on, in which case I might try it.
Old 31-08-06, 05:23 PM   #6
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by roconnor14
Quote:
Originally Posted by klohiq
I've read that one and it's for the first generation sv. When you say curvey, do you mean 1st generation? Thanks for all the replies. It isn't something that I'm seriously considering, but I was just wondering if it was a simple bolt-on, in which case I might try it.
Yeah, a curvy is the style pre-02/03 (whenever it was) when it went pointy.

BTW, the link doesn't seem to say anything about having to source and fit/swap the front fairing mounting frame, light unit, mirrors, clocks, etc. which even on fleabay are going to cost a small fortune.

If by some crazy notrion you actually do it let us know how you get on.
Old 02-09-06, 03:12 PM   #7
roconnor14

I dont think it will ever really happen, but I might get some ambition (and money) to try it next summer. I just went back to milwaukee school of engineering, so it's out fo the question at least until school is out. If i were to try it I'll post a complete write-up with pictures explaining how. Thanks to everyone who shared their indo.
Old 02-09-06, 04:46 PM   #8
Mesomorphman

There is this site I found. www.kgcycles.com I think it is. Anyway, it's kg cycles. Sometimes they have it on Ebay but it's intermittent and hard to fing. It only $400 and I'm gonna get one but I spent all my money on a new front end. (BTW, I have a post on help fitting a master cylinder. Any assistance would be appreciated.) This fairing looks cool to me and their site has pictures on it. An OEM fairing is like... $400 just for the top thingy and another $350 or something for the bottom. This is a full fairing. Only problem is, it's unpainted. Still looks cool, though. Good luck on the search.

P.S. ( I don't know anything about the quality of the site or whatever, so you might wanna do some research to make sure they're legit. You know how that goes. Do your homework. But it looks good to me and I've seen the fairing on Ebay.)