SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-02-19, 08:36 PM   #7001
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

What the hell are you lot talking about?
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 09:09 PM   #7002
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 View Post
What the hell are you lot talking about?
He's an engineer (an IT one currently) talking in code is normal

Tim what about the 2 stroke opposed piston diesel

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 10:23 AM   #7003
Seeker
Mega Poster

I have just spoken to a lady in the Virgin media call centre (located in India) who kept asking me about my wifi connection after I'd told her twice that I was hard wired to the hub. She then asked me to get my iPhone for reasons unknown and didn't believe me when I told her I didn't have a smart phone. It got worse...she then proceeded to tell me I didn't have a problem because her dignostics showed everything was working fine and, if I wanted a tech, it would cost me £99.
It was at this point that I resorted to shouting. I shouted that they should at least employ people with some technical ability in a technical call centre. She hung up.

I called back, this person listened to what I described and said: "we need to send someone."

3 weeks ago my previously reliable connection started dropping packets from 1 to 45 seconds. 1 second is annoying but after about 5 seconds the disconnection starts to manifest itself with page load issues/loss of resolution on video). Skype doesn't like the dropped packets at all. I use Colasoft to ping remote servers and BQM from Thinkbroadband to ping me (it stores it as a graph/chart). I get multiple T3 errors (note: on a Virgin Superhub3 this command: http://192.168.0.1/walk?oids=1.3.6.1...2.1.20.1.2.1.2 will give the number of T3 timeouts) and critical loss of sync messages in the hub's log.

(for T4 timeouts it is: http://192.168.0.1/walk?oids=1.3.6.1...2.1.20.1.2.1.3 )

2 techs have been around, the last telling me that someone else locally has the same issue and he will raise a ticket for the network guy to check it. Therein lies the problem with Virgin - there's no way to speak to the network tech (head-end engineer they call him) and no way to find out if he's looked at the issue. You have to keep calling the call centre which doesn't help my stress level.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 10:35 AM   #7004
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

I think they deliberately act dumb and try to draw out the 'diagnostic' process as long as possible to make it seem like they have actually achieved something. Probably hoping that you will lose your patience and give up.

My router continues to throw up critical errors daily. Which is apparently fine.
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 11:22 AM   #7005
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
My router continues to throw up critical errors daily. Which is apparently fine.
yes, mine too...but not if it throws up T3 or T4 errors like this:

{
"1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.2.1.2.4":"62",
"1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.2.1.2.82":"1",
"1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.2.1.2.83":"1",
"1.3.6.1.4.1.4491.2.1.20.1.2.1.2.84":"9",
"1":"Finish"
}

62 errors - these indicate a loss of connection. 1 or 2 would be "normal".

Here's my BQM graph from yesterday:

The tall yellow spikes indicate high latency which would probably incense me if I was a gamer, the red spikes indicate a break in 'net connection. The extreme left of the chart indicates what my Virgin media looks like most of the time (ok, but not brilliant).
Old 05-02-19, 11:31 AM   #7006
Seeker
Mega Poster

Here's what happens during the red spike:

This is me pinging the Virgin server in Nottingham for 37 seconds I couldn't see the server, in that time skype would have disconnected, pages wouldn't load with errors declaring "no internet" and videos would buffer.

It started this 3 weeks ago.
Old 05-02-19, 05:54 PM   #7007
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

They sent us a new TV box that was not compatible with our (admittedly archaic) TV. Once it was plugged in apparently the old box was rendered void and would no longer work with out account. I phoned for help and was laughed at and told to get a new TV! A morning banging my head against a wall and I caved.... and went out and got a TV off someone locally via Gumtree. Not an ideal or cheap solution, but it worked and kept the kids happy on a Saturday.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 05:57 PM   #7008
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I have another problem they've never been able to help with. Can anyone explain why my iphone has to have it's wifi turned off and on again and then reconnect to work with Virgin wifi? Every time the phone screen locks / times out and you unlock it again it needs reconnecting. It doesn't happen on any other phone or device in our house. It doesn't happen to my phone in anyone elses house, so it's all down to our wifi / Virgin box. Apparently it's a known issue that no one knows the answer to and has been happening for over a year now. Very frustrating.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 12:22 PM   #7009
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I have another problem they've never been able to help with. Can anyone explain why my iphone has to have it's wifi turned off and on again and then reconnect to work with Virgin wifi? Every time the phone screen locks / times out and you unlock it again it needs reconnecting. It doesn't happen on any other phone or device in our house. It doesn't happen to my phone in anyone elses house, so it's all down to our wifi / Virgin box. Apparently it's a known issue that no one knows the answer to and has been happening for over a year now. Very frustrating.
might be auto connect on your phone. there might be a function to "remember" or "no log out". it will be particular to the wifi that its connected to in its settings.

but yes the newer virgin hubs are pants.

your TV must have been really really old...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 12:41 PM   #7010
Seeker
Mega Poster

They sent me a new tivo box too to replace the old obsolete (non tivo) one. The new one is still in its box in the attic since I get all the same channels on Freeview anyway and never have had a program I want to record.