SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-12-07, 09:18 PM   #1
Well Oiled

Default Bit of an off today

Only 50 yards from my door!

Turning on to the main street, started to accelerate and the next thing the bike had gone from under me, with me thinking "what the f**k happened there?". Thank god for R&G's - only damage was a broken indicator, snapped end off rear brake lever and a bit of a scuff to the front edge of the can. Oh and a nice chamfer ground onto the crash bung.

Started bike & gently rode home then got the car out to go to the club (now late for squash game) and the offside car wheel spun at exactly the same place. So on the way back I check and sure enough, a nice metre square oily patch, maybe diesel - mystery solved.

Cheap lesson I guess - could have been much worse, so beware of cold damp roads and watch out for oil & diesel patches. As for me, swollen knuckles on right hand was the only damage (apart from dented pride).

Cheers Keith
Old 16-12-07, 09:20 PM   #2
Wideboy
Evel Knievel
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bit of an off today

ah nuts , well not to much dammage

05 DRZ400E
RIP hovis
Wideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-07, 10:28 PM   #3
Defender

Glad to hear you didn't hurt yourself but its a shame you're gonna have to spend money fixing the bike

I'm not sure what can be done about the state of the roads with respect to oil and diesel spillages. It's unlikely the authorities will clean the roads and yet they're covered with an abundance of 'crap'.
Old 16-12-07, 10:36 PM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

sorry to hear about the off, but your username is amusingly ironic right now
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-07, 11:18 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

Unlucky mate!

I nearly joined you on the ground (in a sense). I was riding round saltersgate on the a169 this afternoon, basically its a tight down hill right hander...

Going down there at about 10 MPH (Slow yes) with back brake on when i lost all grip and the bike went a little sideways luckily i mantaged to instinctivly react and kept it up and going but it was a bit of brown pant time i can tell ya! When i got back.
Old 17-12-07, 09:02 AM   #6
Spanner Man
Mega Poster

Morning all.

Bad show mate, glad you're ok.

Cheers.
Old 17-12-07, 09:29 AM   #7
Warthog

Thats bad luck, I lost the front end yesterday for a couple of inches when going round a corner but luckily it gripped again. Bike's aren't perfect for this cold weather are they!
Old 17-12-07, 10:40 AM   #8
Pedrosa

Ooh mate, glad your basically ok. No doubt a bit James Bondish? Shaken but not stirred?

R and G's for the bike and a life time of pie eating no doubt have served you well.
Old 17-12-07, 11:01 AM   #9
Durbs

Had my first wake up call on the SV on Sat, riding through Alderley Edge center and came up to a queue of cars at around 10mph, just touched the front brake slightly to slow and the front wheel immediately locked and started slithering around from side to side, very bizarre, looked like a good road surface, no obvious diesel etc. Luckily had enough space in front of me that i could release the brake and hit the power to drag the bike back upright. Was never in any danger of dropping it i think but it was the unexpectedness of it that shook me up, makes u think.
Old 17-12-07, 11:05 AM   #10
ThEGr33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbs View Post
Had my first wake up call on the SV on Sat, riding through Alderley Edge center and came up to a queue of cars at around 10mph, just touched the front brake slightly to slow and the front wheel immediately locked and started slithering around from side to side, very bizarre, looked like a good road surface, no obvious diesel etc. Luckily had enough space in front of me that i could release the brake and hit the power to drag the bike back upright. Was never in any danger of dropping it i think but it was the unexpectedness of it that shook me up, makes u think.
Damn you were lucky. Had the front lock up once on my old bike from just touching the front brake and i was on my **** no warning or anything!

Thats why i try to stick with using engine and rear brake in winter, rear wheel skid is easier to control imo.