SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 15-10-10, 11:49 AM   #11
toot

Default Re: Wanna get into minitwin racing next year?

Just post it to anyone and everyone and see what comes back. 90% of the time it's nothing, but that 10% is worth doing it for.
Old 15-10-10, 12:19 PM   #12
anteater

The tyre comments are very interesting;

I'm not setting the track on fire with laptimes but seem to be very consitent on old rubber.

I've used a part worn set of BSB Superstock Interacts for 5 days racing (East Fortune August, September & the October Sunday)

They cost me £60 so it equals £12 a day for race rubber.

All very good & cheap but what worries me is the lack of noticable tailing off in performance? Lap times at all three in the low 1.09's and the tyres never felt any different inthe 5 days I used them.

Either I'm the lightest rubber user in te world or Miss Daisey jumps off the back to make the bike lighter stressing the tyres less.....

Off course I may be riding faster now than I was in August and the tyres are holding me back by being knacked? (total race time was a lot faster in September than August)

New rubber is faster so to work out how good / bad I'm doing it I'm actually going to by a new pair of D211's for April and see if it helps me find a couple of seconds a lap.
Old 15-10-10, 01:22 PM   #13
coxxy

Ant, Thats v cheap racing - well done! Dont know East Fortune for track grip at all but noticed the best time there is 65secs and if you have ambition to get closer to that the new tyres will definitely help. As you hit the gas harder it will either grip or...........................not. In which case you can be off before you can shout - "**** I should have changed that tyre earlier! " We have learned the hard way: 5 major crashes this year: 3 in the wet with older wet tyres, 1 unavoidable due to other riders and their v cold tyres, 1 self imposed getting on the gas too early with.................... excess tyre pressures! Note the word repeating itself: Tyres!! Crash damage cost 40 x hours rebuild + £650 + broken knee = hard lessons learned.
Thanks for advice toot, this winter will be even more busy.
Old 15-10-10, 02:47 PM   #14
UKPrincess

Hi Everyone

Been watching this post and all the chitter about Tyres, but been waiting to see if there was any information about the best brand of tyres preferred

Please help, at the moment i am using Super Corsa Pro's SC1 Front SC2 Rear, any good, what about tyre pressures? , set them cold or hot??

other bits to help, i use the rear brake but know lots dont, what do you say

PS just coming to the end of my first years racing and still quite green

thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by UKPrincess; 15-10-10 at 02:49 PM.
Old 15-10-10, 04:10 PM   #15
coxxy

Super Corsas are a great start!
Cripes here goes a big thread......................
As your pace hots up, in our experience the best Tyres would have to be Pirelli Diablos without a shadow, best grip but wear quicker, more expensive - some may argue Michelin Power ones but once you have set the bike up for your choice and get to know them it gets difficult to change and be objective about another Brand. Knowing a tyre is really useful to rider confidence and consistency especially if one also knows a bit about suspension set up?
Tyre pressure on this Pirelli SC1/SC2 combo would be 31 Front/28 Rear HOT, dont set cold its a waste of time as the warmers will blow em higher anyway. The rims should be warm too so set em up at least 1 hour before the race and if a cold day wrap them up somehow - keep the heat in. Check them 45/30 minutes/20/10/5/1 minutes before the warmers come off making adjustments every time. If possible check the pressure straight off track - see how the pressure has changed and adjust accordingly.
Forget the back brake! Only use if you are in trouble, like not wanting to front brake on grass or gravel - or you have pulled a ginormous wheelie on the start grid and discover the front brake aint so efficient...............LOL

Last edited by coxxy; 16-10-10 at 09:24 AM.
Old 15-10-10, 09:19 PM   #16
Berlin

This year I've tried just about everything.

Power ones
Dunlops D209GP (bloody awful!)
racetec/Pirelli Diablo combo and
Super Pros

and to be honest, I can't see any benefit cost wise from using anything other than Supercorsa Pros! The price difference between those and the Supercorsa Diablo wasn't worth it. The Supercorsa pro's are a really good match to the SV.

And Dave Bell runs them at 1.04's at East Fortune and wipes the floor with Supersport 600's at Scarborough so they must be good

They're easy to set the suspension up with too being very easy going.

Next year I may be tempted to go with power Ones (V profile front) and set the bike up from scratch as the turn in is so much quicker but at the sacrifice of stability.

and I agree with the pressures above. 31 hot front and 29 hot rear for me.

C
Old 16-10-10, 05:18 PM   #17
UKPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxy View Post
- or you have pulled a ginormous wheelie on the start grid and discover the front brake aint so efficient...............LOL
top tip that one....................LOL

thanks for the advice, i print these off and put them in my race folder.

I am going to have the bike set up to me in the winter break, hoping to stick with this one all next season, this being my third race bike and two classes this year.

But i have loved it, really going to have withdrawel symptoms in the winter.

i think from all i have read there are a lot of basics which are common to all race bikes but a lot of it is donw to personal preferences and those dictated by say height, weight, skill and expreience...............and money in your personal bank account

Agains thanks for everyones help

JoJo