SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 11-01-11, 03:18 PM   #1
greedy4svs

Default Knockhill

HI folks, got a voucher for a knockhill trackday for Christmas thinking I'll take my wee SV.

It will be my first trackday so looking forward to it, just got a question about my leathers...

I've got 2piece leathers which zip together- roughly from side seem to side seem around the back. Is this enough?

Any other comments welcome- I've already read most of the "my first track day" type threads.
Old 11-01-11, 09:07 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Knockhill

Aye, that's what I always wore. I think in theory they're supposed to be 3/4 zipped but as long as they look OK they'll let you out. Hope you enjoy it!
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-11, 10:11 AM   #3
fenjer

The leathers should be fine. Enjoy it, and if you think you might get a bit carried away make sure you have a mate with a van on standby!
Old 14-01-11, 10:44 AM   #4
SIII
Mega Poster

When ya goin? Could make it an SV Ecosse event? Anybody else up for it?

Am also planning to do my first trackday at Knockhill this year and maybe a little less scary with other novices around?
Old 14-01-11, 10:53 AM   #5
greedy4svs

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Not sure when yet. I have a couple long weekends in April so might try to do it then- you know to celebrate the Royal Wedding! haha

Would be glad of a few more SVs abd track novices...
Old 14-01-11, 10:59 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Definately worth doing in a group! We used to do the track evenings occasionally, they were good, we had about 10 bikes out one night just mobbing the novice group

It's a very good idea, if you don't have some sort of backup ie a van, to take a spare set of levers btw. I rode mine home after a 70mph off one time, all it needed thanks to the crash bungs was a new front brake lever. You see an awful lot of people standing stuck and worried in the pits because of little things like this.
Old 14-01-11, 12:15 PM   #7
Nelson

It's amazing how many non-reportable crashes there are on the road outside Knockhill. People always seem to be crashing there...
Old 14-01-11, 12:33 PM   #8
Stephen McG

make sure you have a full tank when you arrive at circuit.
Coming from the Glasgow side, you have to go a few miles behond to get a petrol station.
I have been round Knockhill many times on bikes and cars - take a couple of laps to familiarise your self.
The marshalls do not allow overtaking on the bends so you can concentrate on getting a decent line without worrying who is up your ar$e.

Stephen McG
Old 14-01-11, 01:31 PM   #9
SIII
Mega Poster

"You see an awful lot of people standing stuck and worried in the pits because of little things like this. "

????????????

Does this mean most folks do come to grief on trackdays? Kinda puts me off a little bit to hear statements like that.
As a novice, is it not possible just to have a wee ride around and not fall off?
I do realise people do fall off, buts lots doesn't sound good or is it just the boyracer's that think their at a round of the BSB?
Old 14-01-11, 01:37 PM   #10
northwind
Mega Poster

Oh no, nothing like that, sorry to worry you! You get a few and most are little trivial ones like that where the bike's fine and you're fine but you've broken a £15 part and you're stuck. I think I did 5 days all told and spectated for a couple more, which is a good few hundred people taking part and saw just a handful of crashes, only a couple of which would actually need a van (or a dustpan and brush in one case). But I think every one I've been to has seen at least one person with no plan B, stuck because of a minor thing, or desperately getting help from strangers. A wee bit of planning removes that stress.

Also, it depends on the rider- mine was because I was having a blast and trying to go faster, simple as that, I overdid it. Dirty Baz's on our big tracknight was much the same, too much power on cold tyres. Ianofbhills was because he was chasing personal bests in the fast group, and he was pretty damn rapid before he started pushing it. If you ride with your head engaged you're no more likely to crash than you are on the road, and it should still be fun, and evenif you do, chances are the consequences will be less too. I can't think of many places on the road I could crash at 70 on a corner entry and still ride home

It's all down to you, really. So don't stress! There's a very, very small chance of being taken out by a knobber but then, that's riding isn't it, I reckon that's more likely to happen on the way there