SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 19-12-18, 09:51 AM   #5801
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

I'm more of a minimalist so I could do with shedding many of them just for that reason! I usually only have one on the go, so it's a choice between putting a film in an SLR or RF. I've had such mixed results with the Tessar lenses compared to the reliability of whatever you point at with a more complex lens that I've more or less stopped using the former. Same with 120, I still need to get a film developed but it's been difficult to get good pictures compared to 35mm, I'm not sure why, mainly in terms of good exposure, which is odd. I've been using Portra 400 which doesn't seem to like over-exposure very much compared to Poundland 200! The Ilford HP5 was good though in 120.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 07:40 PM   #5802
Kenzie

HP5 is my go to film for black and white. Had an Olympus 135mm f3.5 arrive today, listed as faulty as the aperture wouldn't stop down. Popped the mount off and found that the arm wasn't engaged properly. Reseated it and all working.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-18, 08:37 PM   #5803
yokohama

Not the best of trips this year Johnny. Too much stress and grief on the work front unfortunately.
Didn't use cameras as much as I thought, partly because I've been to Chengdu 4 times now and didn't want to take more shots of the same places. I had a week's holiday at the end again (lousy weather) but look lots of pics with the Olympus digital. I didn't take a film camera as I wanted to travel light.
Film is there in China but not the in thing like over here. There are a couple of places I know to buy film and cameras are available on Taobao (Chinese ebay equivalent) though prices vary.
If prices are high over here, I'll wait until the next ebay £1 selling fee offer and try to offload a few surplus things.

Still using HP5 too. I've tried the XP2 because my local shop can develop it but prefer the HP5 tones. Need to try the Kentmere again though. First impressions of that were good.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-18, 07:21 PM   #5804
Kenzie

I wasn't overly impressed with the xp2. Guess the main benefit is c41 processing. The Olympus 35-105 lens turned up today, it needed a good clean but is overall very good, just a hair of fungus on the inside of the rear element. Reasonable bit of weight, but usual top notch Olympus build quality.
Old 21-12-18, 09:09 AM   #5805
yokohama

The 35-105 is a nice lens. I used it when I went to Elvington last year and images were pretty good. Heavy as you say but solid.
I also have the 75-150 f4, slightly longer but a little lighter and has a built in lens hood. Don't want to tempt you before Christmas but WYC have one (exc) on sale for £15.
Old 21-12-18, 07:32 PM   #5806
Kenzie

Tempting, but I REALLY need to behave. The remains of my bank balance was heart attack inducing last month. Have you got any 35-105 shots you can post up?
Old 21-12-18, 09:00 PM   #5807
yokohama

I used it quite a bit when trying out the OMs but I was playing around with other lenses too. I can't honestly remember which photos were taken by which lens.
Old 21-12-18, 09:49 PM   #5808
Kenzie

No problem. It's hard to judge on Flickr what photos are taken with that lens of the images aren't tagged properly. My queue for cameras to be shot seems to have gone out of the window, for so many to get through.
Old 22-12-18, 06:02 AM   #5809
yokohama

I've a long queue for testing too. Also have 3 cameras with unfinished films in. I wonder how long it will take me to finish those.
Old 22-12-18, 01:05 PM   #5810
Kenzie

Just ran a test roll through my Pen D. Thought I picked up a 24 exp roll so I set the counter to 48 and shot away. I misread the pack and it was 36, so I wasted half a roll. It was only expired Jessops stuff so no big deal. Will scan when I get home.

Sent from my Xperia using Tapatalk