SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 02-02-19, 07:51 PM   #5981
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

Ah just seen some pics, yeah it goes through a lug, God knows why
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 09:08 PM   #5982
Kenzie

Any joy getting the fed apart?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 08:51 PM   #5983
yokohama

Nope. That lens is not coming out. Spanner has slipped a few times and I don't want to wreck the spanner holes or the bezel thread. The only thing i can think of is to cut round it with a dremmel if I really want to get it off. Then solder the join when replacing.
I think I'll leave it for now, which is a shame because I wanted to clean out the top and remove the shutter box to clean that up. It's the second shutter roller that's sticking, meaning the 2nd curtain is either too slow or doesn't complete travel at lower speeds. Probably dried up old lubricant so I think I'll try some lighter fuel through the bottom of the roller, see if that loosens things up.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 09:00 PM   #5984
Kenzie

Hmm, got no advice to offer on that one. Plusgas maybe? I've been tinkering with the Lynx 5000 that I bought to fix the first one. I have the shutter open and the release is just catching and preventing it from firing. It needs tweaking but I'm quite sure how. I'll post up a pic later so you can have a look.
Old 06-02-19, 10:06 AM   #5985
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Yoko once the WD40/Plusgas has soaked in the you could try tapping with a hammer and screwdriver. Position the screwdriver in the slot so it is tangential to the screw threads and tap gently, swap to the other slot after a while so you're also pushing it back and forth. Works well for stuck bolts/screws, the shock gets things moving and normally the bolt doesn't need to turn far to relieve the grip it has in the hole.
Old 08-02-19, 08:01 PM   #5986
yokohama

I'm going to give up on removing the Fed top. It's had nightly doses of WD40 and a few light hammer taps but the lens still won't unscrew. I don't want to overdose on lubricant or go too hard on the hammer for fear of either getting oil on the optics internals or cracking them.
Lighter fluid through the bottom of the shutter rollers seems to have loosened up the shutter so I've decided to stick with that for now and see how it goes.
It's had a good clean and degrease so I'd like to lightly lubricate some of the cogs and mechanism. What's best? I got oil, GT85, grease, lithium grease, gun grease, gun oil, moly dry lube ...
Now for the lens .. clean the optics and fix the stiff focus.
Old 08-02-19, 08:14 PM   #5987
yokohama

... and a friend was moving house this week and found this in his attic. He'd forgotten he had it.
Did I want it or should it go to the dump?
Well, what could I say?
Old 08-02-19, 08:41 PM   #5988
Kenzie

Hmmm, I wonder.... On the subject of the Fed, I always thought that most gears ran dry. I might be wrong, but if anything I would say graphite would be better. JR would know better. Might try and finish off the Kiev tomorrow if I get time and the weather holds.

Last edited by Kenzie; 08-02-19 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 08:47 PM   #5989
yokohama

The moly spray is supposed to be a dry lubricant with superior properties to graphite. I might try that unless JR advises otherwise.
Old 08-02-19, 09:35 PM   #5990
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Sounds good to me. The gear teeth themselves shouldn't need lubrication as they're shaped to roll against each other not just push on each other (the shape of a gear tooth face follows a curve called an involute). There will be other bits and bobs in there though but oil will migrate and grease can pick up gritty bits etc.

Last edited by johnnyrod; 08-02-19 at 09:37 PM.