SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-07-07, 12:37 PM   #1
CDM

Default New chain and sprockets

Hi all, I'm new to these forums so I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this but:-

I need to replace the chain and sprockets on my curvey 650s and after much searching about, including on these forums I'm thinking that I'd like to go to a 46 rear, with a stock front sprocket and a DID chain.

I do like the look of the Supersprox rear sprockets and like the idea of the steel teeth and ally carrier but I don't know if I can get a 46 tooth one that will fit the sv? All the sites I can find the Supersprox sprockets on only list by bike and don't say how many teeth they have so I'm guessing they are all the standard 44.

Suggestions or help greatly appreciated!

Andy
Old 04-07-07, 12:51 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: New chain and sprockets

Welcome to the madhouse!!

I used B&C Express (google them). Their website is extensive. Basically, I chose a sprocket & chain set that I thought was about right, then phoned them explaining "This is the set I was looking at, but I want to change the rear sprocket to 46teeth instead of 44."

The nice lady on the phone tapped away into the computer for a second, "no problem we can do that for you, it'll cost..." (I think it was £104 + P&P).

Give them a call, fantastic service & product knowledge. Mention you were forwarded from this forum too.. can't remember if they do a discount, but worth asking.
Old 04-07-07, 12:59 PM   #3
silver surfer

This will probably sound stupid. Whats the benefit of changing from a standard 44 tooth sprocket to a 46 tooth one????
Old 04-07-07, 01:09 PM   #4
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
Whats the benefit of changing from a standard 44 tooth sprocket to a 46 tooth one????
Not stupid at all.

If you increase the number of teeth on the rear, it has the same effect as decreasing the number of teeth on the front. This is more acelleration. However, this comes at the cost of top speed.

The naked has slightly lower gearing (more acelleration biased), the faired is geared more towards being slower off the line but slightly faster top end.

If you tinker with both sprockets you get an evil setup where you end up putting a lot of weight over the front end to stop the wheel lifting (depending on how hard you set off).

HTH.
Old 04-07-07, 01:11 PM   #5
CDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Welcome to the madhouse!!

I used B&C Express (google them). Their website is extensive. Basically, I chose a sprocket & chain set that I thought was about right, then phoned them explaining "This is the set I was looking at, but I want to change the rear sprocket to 46teeth instead of 44."

The nice lady on the phone tapped away into the computer for a second, "no problem we can do that for you, it'll cost..." (I think it was £104 + P&P).

Give them a call, fantastic service & product knowledge. Mention you were forwarded from this forum too.. can't remember if they do a discount, but worth asking.
Cheers for the advice. I did have a look on the B&C webby but they didn't seem to have Supersprox listed as a spocket option
Old 04-07-07, 01:13 PM   #6
silver surfer

Mines got a standard sprocket set on it and has only ever once lifted the front wheel slightly when I got annoyed with an impretza. Is it something I'm doing or is there something up with the bike?
Old 04-07-07, 01:15 PM   #7
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
Mines got a standard sprocket set on it and has only ever once lifted the front wheel slightly when I got annoyed with an impretza. Is it something I'm doing or is there something up with the bike?
That depends on your confidence level mainly. If you know what you're doing if/when the front wheel lifts, rider harder .

If you don't, well your bike is setup just nicely IMO.
Old 04-07-07, 01:16 PM   #8
CDM

Also I understand that changing to a 46 on the back puts your speedo out? Is that correct? If so how much out (roughly) and which way?
Old 04-07-07, 01:20 PM   #9
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Also I understand that changing to a 46 on the back puts your speedo out? Is that correct? If so how much out (roughly) and which way?
The SV's take speed measurement at the front wheel. No matter what you're doing with the drive chain (anywhere from the gearbox to the rubber on the rear wheel hitting the tarmac) you're not going to affect the speedo.

The one thing you will notice is that you rev slightly different for a given speed. For example, on stock gearing, I was doing 5000 RPM in 6th to hold 70mph. Now it's 5500 RPM.
Old 04-07-07, 01:23 PM   #10
CDM

Ahh fair enough, I was thinking that was the case but having read so many websites it was starting to make my head hurt... lol