SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-02-09, 11:55 AM   #1
glsuk1970

Default Servicing cost - what a difference!

My bike is due a service next month so I thought I'd phone a few places to get a rough idea of what the cost is likely to be. Of the four garages I called, three are Suzuki agents while the other is an independant local garage. I gave them all the same information regarding mileage, age, model etc and asked exactly what was included for the price. Quotes ranged from very reasonable £90 up to £200!!!!

It's a 3 year old K6 with 8,000 miles so it's hardly a major service and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to change the plugs, air filter, oil filter and pour in some fresh oil so I was expecting something around the £120-£150 mark but I wasn't prepared for £200.

I'm reasonably competent with a spanner and could do the work myself however the bike has a full Suzuki service history and I wanted to keep it up but for £200 I'll compromise and take it to the £90 independant workshop as I can't see that a Suzuki stamp in the service book will make that much difference when I come to sell the bike.

Rant over.
Old 16-02-09, 12:00 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Servicing cost - what a difference!

ahhhhh this servicing topic again, close to my heart this one lol, i'm with you glsuk1970 id take the cheaper option every time or even just DIY, basicly its the overheads of the dealer your paying for, the eye opener for me was when i wrote one of my bikes off and they sent me the bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was the LABOUR that wrote the bike off not the parts.
Old 16-02-09, 06:12 PM   #3
SV650Racer

The 7500m service consists of the following:

Air cleaner element = Inspect/Replace
Exhaust pipe bolts and muffler bolts = Tighten/inspect
Spark plugs = Replace
Fuel hose = Inspect
Engine oil = Replace
Engine oil filter = I recommend replace
Engine idle rpm = Inspect
Throttle cable play = Inspect
Throttle valve synchronization = Inspect adjust
PAIR (air supply) system = Inspect
Engine coolant Replace once every 2 years
Radiator hose - Inspect
Clutch - Inspect
Drive chain - Inspect
Brakes Inspect
Brake hose - Inspect
Brake fluid - Inspect - due for replacement at 2yrs
Tyres - Inspect
Steering bearings - Inspect
Front forks Inspect
Rear suspension linkages - Inspect
Chassis nuts and bolts Tighten

Oil filter @ 10.20
Oil @ 15-28 dependant on quality
Plugs @ 6.44 each
Air filter @ 17-24 dependant on what used

Even at the lower costs if all the above are used then the cheaper place is either very cheap labour rate wise or only charging you about an hours labour which in all honesty is not enough time to do the job properly as per schedule.

I allow between 2.5 - 3 hours for this service and EVERYTHING gets done properly and thoroughly. IE not just a glance at the bike, drop the oil..re-fill and done!

Ive just had one in this afternoon, (again !!) thats supposed to have had a 7500m service done by a local guy that charged him £80..surprise the bike is running rough only 500m later - Plugs and air filter are black!..not even been checked.
Old 22-02-09, 11:35 AM   #4
glsuk1970

Thanks for the info, SV650Racer. It's help me decide that I will actually take the bike to a garage to be serviced rather than just change the oil, plugs and filters myself. The independant garage has been in business for donkeys years so they be doing something right!
Old 22-02-09, 02:04 PM   #5
Binky
Emily Howard rides an SV
Mega Poster

When taking a bike in for a service would it be weird to ask the garage or mechanic if you could stay and watch for a bit or all of the work being done???

I can imagine i could learn something, or would it just be awkward like he didn't want me there, watching his every move? At least then i would know that everything had been done...
Old 22-02-09, 02:07 PM   #6
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
When taking a bike in for a service would it be weird to ask the garage or mechanic if you could stay and watch for a bit or all of the work being done???

I can imagine i could learn something, or would it just be awkward like he didn't want me there, watching his every move? At least then i would know that everything had been done...
If you want to watch the work being done, whether due to learning or ensuring work is done, by all means request.

If they say no, then you have a choice. Take it somewhere that will let you watch, or pay & let them do it anyway.

Personally, I'm no mechanic, and it's for that very reason that I prefer people to hang around if I'm doing something to their bike.
Old 22-02-09, 04:37 PM   #7
littleperson

Make sure the garage is VAT registered as this is part of the issue with a service history

I assumin from your location that you tried Bill Smiths at Chester

I'd go for a dealer thats in a mid-range if its in your budget as at least you got some recompense if it all go wrong and you'll get the Suzuki stamp in the book

Its as bad with cars as I've just found out - some main dealers think its a licence to charge what they like to use public folk
Old 22-02-09, 10:22 PM   #8
thefallenangel

do it yourself as you probably don't earn that much money an hour do you?