SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-08-21, 09:55 AM   #9931
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
ITV Hub. Piece of garbage. Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every time we try to watch something it allows us to watch around half of it and then refuses to play the rest. Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.........

I did not start recording Lucan in time so we're using it to try and watch episode one and it will NOT let us watch the last quarter of an hour. Resetting everything has no effect so flip it - well have to try again tomorrow.

Piece of utter garbage.

At least it is free garbage ( never had a problem with it, except not being able to fast forward the adverts, If you pay about £3 a month you can view without adverts ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-08-21 at 09:56 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-21, 09:44 AM   #9932
shiftin_gear98

Back at work today. Boo.
Old 19-08-21, 10:22 AM   #9933
Bibio
Mega Poster

central heating installers..

i got my house central heating done about 4 years ago. over the last week i have been ripping out the back bedroom and bathroom and as such i had to remove and instate the rads. to my surprise the installers have for some reason put one radiator flow and return on the return feed and the other radiator flow and return on the flow feed.

i'm now paranoid about the whole system. the word cowboys comes to mind.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-21, 11:50 AM   #9934
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

i got my house central heating done about 4 years ago. over the last week i have been ripping out the back bedroom and bathroom and as such i had to remove and instate the rads. to my surprise the installers have for some reason put one radiator flow and return on the return feed and the other radiator flow and return on the flow feed.

I had my plastic pipes replaced with 15mm copper piping below first floor and oxygen barrier 15mm minimum diameter within first floor, as 10mm microbore plastic pipes were clogging up. Heating engineers didn't put timber battens under edges of access panels they cut out of chipboard flooring so floor creaks whenever we walk over these panels. ( apart from the odd 2 I got to myself to rectify !)
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-21, 11:51 AM   #9935
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Varifocal glasses. Boots got me to try some for the glasses I've just got. Waited half a year for an appointment and then weeks to get the glasses. Not getting on with them at all. Not cheap. Useless.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-21, 11:54 AM   #9936
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

Any chance of getting back to the cowboys for an explanation/refund ?!
Old 19-08-21, 12:12 PM   #9937
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Varifocal glasses. Boots got me to try some for the glasses I've just got. Waited half a year for an appointment and then weeks to get the glasses. Not getting on with them at all. Not cheap. Useless.
I have been wearing varifocal glasses from Optical Express for years
( changed every 2 years usually apart from recently )and find them good.
There must be something wrong with the prescription for the lenses Boots gave you I think if they don't work .
Years ago I started with reading glasses, then went on to bifocals which were awkward ,and at one point had another pair for mid range computer screen work. Then went on to varifocals which were brilliant for all uses. They are not cheap though and I can't quite understand why they have about 3 different types and you have to buy the dearest to get the best periferal vision. I noticed when I got the cheapest prescription varifocal lenses for my sunglasses that it seemed a bit different riding the motorcycle - the optician explained that I would have to be turning my head further from side to side because the lenses didn't give the best periferal vision . I got the best varifocal lenses for both pairs of my latest glasses (about £620 but I chose one pair of £150 frames by mistake !)
Old 19-08-21, 12:15 PM   #9938
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Some people get on with them others don't. I've had them for about 15 years and I'm wondering if I'll bother with them in the future. I'm short sighted so I often find it easier just take them off for close-up work. The real problem with them is that they only work if you're looking down (reading a book) or tipping your head back to bring the subject into focus (not always practical). My current glasses are useless for using with my PC monitor or laptop as the distance is somewhere in between reading and distance, I can tip my head back to get focus but it's a very narrow sweet spot and not comfortable.

I might go for single focus next time, one pair for distance and another for PC/reading.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-21, 02:30 PM   #9939
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
...useless for using with my PC monitor or laptop as the distance is somewhere in between reading and distance,

This is what I'm finding. Far distance is amazing. Very very close is amazing. I got them to use for work though and I can't focus at a distance the computer sits at or on any of my mechanical work or wheel building.

So they're an expensive waste of time. I'm back to using the cheap supermarket glasses I've been surviving with for the last half a year.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-21, 03:03 PM   #9940
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
This is what I'm finding. Far distance is amazing. Very very close is amazing. I got them to use for work though and I can't focus at a distance the computer sits at or on any of my mechanical work or wheel building.

So they're an expensive waste of time. I'm back to using the cheap supermarket glasses I've been surviving with for the last half a year.
I have the same problem with any intermediate distance. Such as DIY or working on something like the car/bike. Anything that's at arms length really. I've been painting fascia boards on the house this week and it was easier without glasses.

I've now attached granny cords to an old pair of specs when doing odd jobs, so they're always close to (plonking them on my head is okay but they usually fall off).