SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-05-16, 08:22 AM   #1
spooon

Default A2 license holder looking to take A1 test

Hi guys,

Has anyone recently made the step from A2 up to full A1 license?

I don't necessarily want to have a load of lessons, but maybe a refresher lesson and loan of a bike would do. My SV is currently restricted, but I also have the full power ECU - has anyone used their bike for the tests?

Has anyone just gone straight into a test, either using their own bike or hiring one just for the test?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Tom
Old 19-05-16, 08:42 AM   #2
atassiedevil

Default Re: A2 license holder looking to take A1 test

You mean A license.
A1 license is a full 125cc license.

Theoretically, you could throw L plates on your bike, show up at the test center, and do the test, minus the restricted ECU. Bear in mind if you're riding there with the full power ECU, to cover yourself get someone to take you as a passenger on your bike, take L plates, fit them before the test and off you go.

You have already done all the necessary to get your A2, so buy some cheap cones from sports direct, find an empty car park, get practicing, after getting the cones layout from the relevant .gov site for your Mod 1.

The road test, as long as you're sensible and do your observations should be easier. Just remember what you already did and you should be fine.

C.
Old 20-05-16, 12:19 PM   #3
AlexAdams

Default Re: A2 license holder looking to take A1 test

It's been discussed that a lurchy SV (i.e. throttles out of balance and TPS not adjusted) is a poor bike for the tests, especially the S with it's reduced turning circle.

It was also raised that only one insurance company would cover you to ride a bike that you don't have a license for e.g. during your test (sorry can't remember which one).

Ref ECU there's no way they'd know you're on the 33bhp ecu for the test, it's not like you'll be using more than that anyway.

I watched multiple mod 1 fails on 2 points, not going fast enough through the traps and locking the back wheel during emergency stop, it's worth practising those 2 which are fairly easy on a quiet road.