SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-10-08, 03:22 PM   #1
de bong

Default Some wiring issues on my pointy

Hi all

I bought a '03 pointy a few weeks ago and the guy I bought it from had removed the indicators at some point. He had put them back on but butchered the wiring in the process. I decided to solder ,shrink wrap and tape up the cut wires for several reasons.
1. When the bike was ticking over the brake light leds would flicker as if there was something draining them....Once I soldered the wires for the indicators this sorted that problem.
2. When soldering up the indicator wires I noticed 1 white 2 pin connector(black with white stripe and brown wires going to the connector) that doesnt seemed to be connected to anything and I cant find anything nearby that it can be connected to...I have attached a picture of the connector...any ideas what this connector is for or what it should be connected to?
3. When I turn on either of my indicators(including hazards) the top half of my brake leds flash also...is this normal?
4. Finally the wiring loom going to the fuse box etc...seems to be free from wherever it should be secured to...where should the fuse box be secured?

Thanks

Pic of my pride and joy

Old 13-10-08, 03:25 PM   #2
simesb

Default Re: Some wiring issues on my pointy

Quote:
Originally Posted by de bong View Post
Hi all

I bought a '03 pointy a few weeks ago and the guy I bought it from had removed the indicators at some point. He had put them back on but butchered the wiring in the process. I decided to solder ,shrink wrap and tape up the cut wires for several reasons.
1. When the bike was ticking over the brake light leds would flicker as if there was something draining them....Once I soldered the wires for the indicators this sorted that problem.
2. When soldering up the indicator wires I noticed 1 white 2 pin connector(black with white stripe and brown wires going to the connector) that doesnt seemed to be connected to anything and I cant find anything nearby that it can be connected to...I have attached a picture of the connector...any ideas what this connector is for or what it should be connected to?
3. When I turn on either of my indicators(including hazards) the top half of my brake leds flash also...is this normal?
4. Finally the wiring loom going to the fuse box etc...seems to be free from wherever it should be secured to...where should the fuse box be secured?

Thanks

Pic of my pride and joy
2. Looks like the brake/tail light connector. Presumably this has been bypassed somewhere.
3. Mine does that at idle I think.
4. Should mount on little plastic lugs under the riders seat, just above the main fuse/starter relay

hth
Old 13-10-08, 06:36 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

i don't think I've got that connector You can see 3 in this pic the big white one is the brake/tail light which I think you have & the black one & the grey one are each indicator which I guess is your green & yellow tape.

4 pics trying to show you the fuse box.

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-08, 06:40 PM   #4
k31tha

if u have a tail tidy then it will be the connector for the numberplate light
Old 13-10-08, 06:43 PM   #5
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

3. +1 mine does that
Old 13-10-08, 06:45 PM   #6
simesb

Apologies - now I look at the pics again I can see the tail cluster connector so I don't know what the spare one is either! I think I have a plug near the dealer connector, but I'm not sure it isn't one of those earth bundle things.

But the fuse box definitely should be mounted on plastic lugs under the riders seat. Nothing wrong with moving it, but that's the place for a K3.
Old 13-10-08, 06:46 PM   #7
simesb

I was gonna say your tax disc was on the wrong side but then saw where you were - dunno if you have the same rule
Old 13-10-08, 07:23 PM   #8
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by simesb View Post
I was gonna say your tax disc was on the wrong side but then saw where you were - dunno if you have the same rule
What rule, as I have never had any issues with my bikes and there dotted locations.
Old 13-10-08, 07:26 PM   #9
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
What rule, as I have never had any issues with my bikes and there dotted locations.
The only one I'm aware of is that the disc must be displayed on the nearside.
Old 13-10-08, 07:28 PM   #10
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

tax disc in the uk should be on the left i.e visible from the pavement by law, just because no one's complained about you doing it different doesn't make it legal