SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 19-01-06, 09:26 AM   #1
localhost

Default Pants! Sump plug...

Going to change oil and oil filter, only to round the sump plug. I did use a socket set as well, not sure how hard these ruislip lads have thighten the bolt.

Is there any good trick to get the bolt off without having to take it up to the shop?

Kindest regards,
Old 19-01-06, 09:29 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

It shouldn't be tightened to much as it threads into aluminium. You "were" turning it the right way weren't you?

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-06, 09:39 AM   #3
SV650Racer

ooops!.

Id take it somewhere that knows what they are doing now before you make any more mess. Seriously, you dont want to have to start drilling it out or risk cracking the sump!. I have seen that happen and his home service cost him £700 odd quid!.

Are your tools upto the job?. If your socket is slightly rounded inside then it wont grip the plug tightly and cause it to round off.

I am always doing that..hence why i ride the bike and steve works on it!!!
Old 19-01-06, 09:46 AM   #4
localhost

Oh well, i wanted to avoid having to drag it all the way up to ruislip, but then i suppose i don't have much of a choise.

I was indeed turning it the right way.

No i shan't be doing any drilling in there, since i don't have a drill, nor the knowledge.

Well, to the suzuki shop it is then.
Old 19-01-06, 09:52 AM   #5
jonboy

Are you sure it was righty-tighty/lefty-loosey? Several peeps have stripped the sump plug bolt because they've turned it the wrong way. Just a thought, hope you get it sorted (cheaply).

Old 19-01-06, 10:07 AM   #6
mysteryjimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Are you sure it was righty-tighty/lefty-loosey? Several peeps have stripped the sump plug bolt because they've turned it the wrong way. Just a thought, hope you get it sorted (cheaply).

My sump thread was stripped the first time i did an oil change. It appears the previous owner was a thicko and had glued in the the plug after stripping it himself.
Old 19-01-06, 01:26 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

It's really easy to do it the wrong way when working upside down too... I always use a ratchet and set it before I go near the bike Not saying that you did this, just as a wee note for anyone else reading.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-06, 04:01 PM   #8
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwind
It's really easy to do it the wrong way when working upside down too... I always use a ratchet and set it before I go near the bike Not saying that you did this, just as a wee note for anyone else reading.
Agreed.

Whenever working on something "upside down", I like to get underneath it if at all possible, so I won't fall foul to this. For this reason, I lie on my back when removing/fitting a sump plug.

Fortunately, I learnt "the hard way" to do this at GCSE Design Technology as opposed to when working on a bike.
Old 19-01-06, 04:57 PM   #9
mac

I`m an engineer and still have been known to get this wrong ( usually when you have an audience who are only too keen to point out your mistake ).

The socket you were using does it drive on the flats of the plug or the corners ( always best using the former on slightly worn nuts ).
Old 19-01-06, 05:49 PM   #10
independentphoto

Believe it or not, very tight drain plugs can, in my experience be freed by a firm "tap" with a well-aimed hammer before using a ratchet set to drive anti-clockwise when viewed from the back (direction lever) side.

Some of these hooligans think the plugs need to be "murdered" . Remember folks it only needs to stop the oil running out - not hold the engine into the frame or similar. Just like a filter, hand tight and then an eighth of a turn is more than adequate.

Good Luck,

Garry