SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-06-08, 03:07 PM   #1
lily

Default NEBOSH Certificate

I’ve just had a meeting with my boss, and he wants me to do the NEBOSH Certificate as I am getting move involved with health & safety for my job.

I know it falls into the remit of Company Secretariat work (which as I'm studying to become a company secretary it may be useful) however with my ICSA training/ studying I’m doing I don’t want to be taking on much more studying

Do any of you fine people know what is involved in the NEBOSH Certificate and is it worthwhile having?!

Thanks' in advance

Lily x
Old 03-06-08, 03:11 PM   #2

Default Re: NEBOSH Certificate

I think its a 4 day course? as always happy to stand corrected...

o wait that maybe Ibosh..
Old 03-06-08, 03:12 PM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

So let me get this right, as you dont want to do this you are looking to see if you can put the Kybosh on the NEBOSH ???

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 03:14 PM   #4
G
Mega Poster

In H&S terms it is the most basic recognised qualification, however it is VERY easy to get, and is now pretty much disregarded in the safety industry as everyman and his dog now has it.

It covers the very basic of the HASWA and MHSW regs.

As for H&S in the work place being a secretarial role, it only is if the company in question doesn’t take safety seriously.

Some people do it and then expect to walk into a H&S job paying ?35k+ which is laughable.

Still, if someone else is paying for it then go for it.
Old 03-06-08, 04:31 PM   #5
Beaniebike

My Oh has responsibility for health and safety at work. I will tell him to read this when he gets in.
Old 03-06-08, 05:28 PM   #6
Tara

IOSH is a 5 day course NEBOSH is 10 days plus the exam and coursework i'm currently doing it after doing IOSH in March

Good luck
Old 03-06-08, 07:43 PM   #7
G
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara View Post
IOSH is a 5 day course NEBOSH is 10 days plus the exam and coursework i'm currently doing it after doing IOSH in March

Good luck
IOSH (I'm sadly a chartered member of IOSH and a registered chartered safety practitioner for my sins) is the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health and not a qualification, they provide 3 courses to training companies that I know of and don’t specifically run the course themselves, the course are working safely, managing safely and directing safely none of which are officially recognised qualifications, they are even more basic than the NEBOSH general certificate which is at least recognised qualification.

You can do the NEBOSH general certificate for about £475 in 3 days including the cost of the exams (which is one of the reason its now considered mickey mouse). The NEBOSH Diploma is reasonably well respected but even then employers want you to have a more specific qualification as well such as the NEBOSH construction certificate etc.
Old 04-06-08, 05:56 AM   #8
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
IOSH (I'm sadly a chartered member of IOSH and a registered chartered safety practitioner for my sins) is the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health and not a qualification, they provide 3 courses to training companies that I know of and don?t specifically run the course themselves, the course are working safely, managing safely and directing safely none of which are officially recognised qualifications, they are even more basic than the NEBOSH general certificate which is at least recognised qualification.

You can do the NEBOSH general certificate for about £475 in 3 days including the cost of the exams (which is one of the reason its now considered mickey mouse). The NEBOSH Diploma is reasonably well respected but even then employers want you to have a more specific qualification as well such as the NEBOSH construction certificate etc.
Superb wish i'd known i could do it 3 days according to my lot the company we are going CHSS charge upto 2K and its over 10 days i'm doing NEBOSH for construction i did IOSH managing safely it was a 4 day course plus exam

thanks for tha advice i might go and have a word with my training dept
Old 04-06-08, 05:56 AM   #9
Tara

Quote:
IOSH (I'm sadly a chartered member of IOSH and a registered chartered safety practitioner for my sins) is the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health and not a qualification, they provide 3 courses to training companies that I know of and don?t specifically run the course themselves, the course are working safely, managing safely and directing safely none of which are officially recognised qualifications, they are even more basic than the NEBOSH general certificate which is at least recognised qualification.

Superb wish i'd known i could do it 3 days according to my lot the company we are going CHSS charge upto 2K and its over 10 days i'm doing NEBOSH for construction i did IOSH managing safely it was a 4 day course plus exam

Old 04-06-08, 05:57 AM   #10
Tara

Quote: