SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-01-14, 11:04 AM   #141
Fordward

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTECUK View Post
Got to say hats off to you.
Most would likely buckle under the pressures.
Do you think a dash cam may of been helpful?
Thanks, it was a lot pressure as you can probably tell from the tone of the OP.

Yes, a dash cam would have helped. I drive throughout the day for work and so get mixed in with all the other sales reps, consultants, white van man and truck drivers, and I am more and more tempted to invest in a dash cam system every week.

Last week I had some idiot tailgaiting in heavy rain on lane 2 of a dual carriageway at 75 mph so close that I couldn't see his headlights in my mirror, they had disappeared below my rear window sill. I saw him approach and he must have been doing 90-100 mph. I lifted my foot as gently as I could and slowed by a few MPH to extend my forward stopping distance and continued my over take of the flow of traffic in lane 1. As soon as he got a gap only just big enough (not big enough for me to return to lane 1 without tailgaiting the next car) he undertook me, forcing me to brake as he cut back out in front of me, waving a wnnker sign and hitting his horn as he went past. The corners of his bumper and mine must have been inches apart both at the back as he started the undertake and at the front as he cut back out in front of me, and he can't have missed the rear offside corner of the car I was overtaking by more than a foot or two. Then he raced off again back up to 90-100mph with a plume spray from the surface water off the rear of his car. He was clearly upset because firstly I was in his way, then because I slowed down.

I would like a dash cam but I think in a car you have to have one in the front windscreen and one in the back for it to be effective, and I hate having cables everywhere to power accessories and switching them on and off manually every journey would be a pain, especially if one of them is in the rear screen. I'd like a system that is permanently installed with hidden wiring, and just starts recording when you switch on the ignition and overwrites old footage when the storage is full. Set and forget CCTV if you like. That's not cheap.

Last edited by Fordward; 09-01-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 11:18 AM   #142
Fordward

The other thing with a dash cam is accidents tend to happen because both drivers have made some kind of mistake, in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only reason insurance companies have hard and fast rules in apportioning blame is because they can't prove the actual circumstances.

We are all human and we all make mistakes. A dash cam can incriminate you just as easily as it can protect you.

If I had an accident, the dash cam system would need to be concealed enough that police attending the scene didn't know it was there, so that I would have an opportunity to review the footage myself before deciding whether to use it as evidence.

Last edited by Fordward; 09-01-14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 11:25 AM   #143
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Some one on hear did a link to the eprances mini.
It's small and a you tube video from the gadget man looked to fit the bill of size and capabilities.
Not over 80 notes. Worth a punt?
Old 09-01-14, 12:35 PM   #144
Fordward

Quote:
It's small and a you tube video from the gadget man looked to fit the bill of size and capabilities.
Thanks for that link, looks like a good bit of kit, but not too easy to conceal. Was thinking more along the lines of a small bullet cam with the box containing the intelligence elsewhere. I also don't want £80 quids worth of kit permanently hanging from the windscreen to attract thieves. If you want one in the rear too that's £160.
Old 09-01-14, 12:46 PM   #145
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
Thanks for that link, looks like a good bit of kit, but not too easy to conceal. Was thinking more along the lines of a small bullet cam with the box containing the intelligence elsewhere. I also don't want £80 quids worth of kit permanently hanging from the windscreen to attract thieves. If you want one in the rear too that's £160.
Yes it's always a bit of a compromise

The video of it in the car it looked Ok
My Nissan has a black area next the mirror. So be less obtrusive than if I put it in the volvo.
The excess on the. Juke collision was £300. So it would have earned it's keep

It's like insurance
A pain to find what you need and what you think you need.
But things go wrong your glade you took the time to find the right thing.
Old 09-01-14, 01:04 PM   #146
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Someone must make multi-channel recorders (CCTV it's dead common) so you'd only need to switch one thing on/off.
Old 09-01-14, 01:19 PM   #147
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:

Mine has arrived today apparently. Will put a pic up in the other thread when in home.
Old 14-01-14, 07:34 AM   #148
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Mind you this looks rather out of order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQ2...e_gdata_player
Old 14-01-14, 07:54 AM   #149
Fordward

Quote:
Mind you this looks rather out of order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LQ2...e_gdata_player
I suspect he was getting ready to stop the vehicle behind, the rider didn't even have to swerve or brake, a little bit thoughtless on behalf of the copper and he probably doesn't ride a motorbike, but that rider is making a mountain out of a molehill and putting it on youtube and making a fuss about it with slow replays, etc, is just childish.
Old 14-01-14, 08:12 AM   #150
Ch00

It looks like he was about to stop the next vehicle or one close by as he is the stopping officer for that site. The rider had to do nothing.

Much a to do about nothing.

If hes that worried about safety he might want to adjust his mirrors so he can see something not just squeeze though gaps imo.