SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-03-06, 08:23 AM   #1
Jelster

Default Ear Plugs

I was reading another thread about a particular lid to which some say is "noisy". I can't believe the amount of people who are saying "I'll have to wear ear plugs"...

Don't people realise that you should ALWAYS be wearing them, the noise associated with riding a bike (especially with an aftermarket exhaust) can permenately damage your hearing ?

I've worn plugs virtually since I got a bike, it's no hardship, you get used to them and I'd rather save my hearing. In fact at the NEC I got some of those moulded ones. Expensive I know but they're very comfortable once they soften up and they cut down so much noise.

Why don't you wear ear protection ??

Old 31-03-06, 08:27 AM   #2
GSXR Carlos

i work in construction, so i've got loads of the standard pairs at home, must admit i wear them on longer journeys or when i'm concentrating, but sometimes its a pain when you're trying to talk to someone with them in
Old 31-03-06, 08:28 AM   #3
jonboy

I always wear earplugs, and the V2 is still noisy .

Old 31-03-06, 08:29 AM   #4
Flamin_Squirrel

Which moulded plugs did you get Jelster?
Old 31-03-06, 08:29 AM   #5
thor

I wear them for long rides, or motorway work. I also wear them whenever I travel (plane or train). They help make you less tired.

Just bought a box of 200 pairs - better value.

Oh yeah, if you drive a lot, you can wear earplugs and crank up the radio. Viola, no more road noise!
Old 31-03-06, 08:29 AM   #6
furrybean

I totally agree! Had a safety update meeting at work and they concentrated on Noise Induced Hearing loss as I work on some big machinery. They threw some figures at us and a motorcycle can easily exceed 100db. We are advised to use protection above 80db!

Anyway I stole a few pairs of these from work and they help loads and very cheap!
Old 31-03-06, 08:44 AM   #7
Grinch

I wear ear plugs, though I have been know to leave them out if I'm trying to figure out wear that odd noise is coming from.
Though I have a Old Caberg J1 and I'm not sure how anyone could wear it without ear plugs.
I did get some moulded one, but there ****, waste of 60 quid.

If you look on the main site links pages theres a link to someone that sells plugs by the bag.
Old 31-03-06, 08:48 AM   #8
jonboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I did get some moulded one, but there sh*t, waste of 60 quid.
A little research beforehand would have told you that plastic is a better material .

Old 31-03-06, 08:56 AM   #9
Halonic

I have a Schuberth S1 lid, turns my bike into some sort of executive car, the only way I can tell its running is by the bar vibrations.

add to that several years playing in Death metal bands, hearing is not something I have to think about anymore
Old 31-03-06, 08:59 AM   #10
Grinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
I did get some moulded one, but there sh*t, waste of 60 quid.
A little research beforehand would have told you that plastic is a better material .