SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-06, 10:39 AM   #1
cortinaman

Default Riding across UK

Hi everyone.

New to the forum a few weeks ago, but haven't had much to say. Very interesting read tho.

Anyway, I live in Norway and am toying around with the idea of visiting friends in Ireland on my bike (2000 SV650S), possibly some time in September (whats the weather usually like at that time?). This would include riding from the ferry docking at Newcastle upon Tyne to the Irish ferry leaving from Holyhead.

Would u recommend sticking to the main roads suggested by Michelin's online route planner or would you suggest a better route? Also, would this be easy enough using a map on my tank bag or should I get a gps? I hope maps will do as I feel it being a bit unnecessary to get a gps only for the purpose of this trip.

Secondly, the ferry from Norway is arriving late at night and I had hoped to avoid staying over at hotels etc. Would the road signs be readable at night or am I just being stupid here about riding during the night?

Alternatively I could make the UK part of the trip a bit more adventurous, staying overnight in Newcastle and take backtracks during the day, it all depends on the weather I suppose...

Recommended stops along the way?

regards
Frode
cortinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-06, 11:33 AM   #2
bobit69

Hi welcome to the forum.

What part of Ireland will you being going to? I went to S Ireland and had no probs getting about.

In regards to getting about a tank bag and a small road map should suffice. The roads there are all pretty good, there are obviously some nice back roads if you feel adventurous (sp). I cannot speak for N Ireland, but the signposts for other towns etc were good as easily visable at night!

Good luck... More views coming shortly, I'm sure!

Cheers,

L
Old 20-06-06, 11:58 AM   #3
Kylie

Not sure if you have been to the UK before but in my experience you'll find the road signs here to be amongst the clearest and best thought out in the world, especially on main roads (but i haven't been to Norway!). You could probably get away without a map going from Newcastle to Holyhead, just write the road numbers and a few key towns down on a post-it note, stick that somewhere near your speedo and away you go. Of course thats if you are taking the boring main roads over, if you want the back routes then you'd want a map and riding at night may be a bit trickier.

Ireland is not quite as good road signs wise and getting out of either Dublin Port or Dun Laoghaire can be a bit of a pain. But once out of Dublin navigating there is a lot easier; if you want to go to Limerick, take the Limerick road, for Cork take the Cork road, you get the idea.
Old 20-06-06, 12:03 PM   #4
huge

Hei på deg

The weather in the UK in September is generally good. We tend to have long summers so you stand a good chance of sun. It will be cold at night though and Ireland can be a bit wet, well really very wet

At night you would have no problem going from Newcastle to Holyhead. As it is at night (and remember driving on the left ) i would recommend using the main roads.

Lykke til and enjoy your holiday
Old 20-06-06, 01:14 PM   #5
cortinaman

Takker så mye.

Tnx for ur thoughts, as you may have guessed I was mainly looking for advice about crossing UK. I've been to Ireland a few times and have got an idea of what the roads are like, and yes - getting out of Dublin seems like a pain some times. Btw, if I decide to go through with it I'll be going to Co. Kildare, but I might get myself around a bit as well while I'm there.

Apart from remembering to stay on the "wrong" side of the road and masking my headlights to dip the other way, are there other things I need to be aware of while driving in UK?

Frode
cortinaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-06, 04:34 PM   #6
BILLY

Speed camera's every where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22-06-06, 05:21 PM   #7
Demonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY
Speed camera's every where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i wouldnt worry - at least you can get upto 70 mph on the motorway here!!