SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-07, 06:15 PM   #1
slark01

Default Riding with one eye!

I would like to know if there is an orger out there who has one eye and rides.
The reason for asking is.. I do have only one eye, so judging distances and cornering is a little tricky.
The technique I use for cornering and judging certain distances is by flicking the eye from one location to another ( example..cornering, Look at the vanishing point then flick eye to centre of road, flick back to vanishing point ).
Why i'm asking is to find out if anyone has any experience and knowledge which might help me to improve my riding.
I've had only one eye since 12 years old, so most of the time it's not a problem, however iv'e noticed with riding I struggle a tiny bit. The worse is when i'm overtaking.
Any help or advice would be mucho appreciated
Old 20-05-07, 07:02 PM   #2
TC3

Default Re: Riding with one eye!

I dont have one eye but suffer from severe cornea edema at times in my right eye which can flare up within an hour and i cant see a thing out of it till i put cream in it, then keep it closed for an hour. this was partially why i crashed on our trip in France last year as i didnt want to hold the others back so carried on riding. I misjudged a sharp bend/corner and slid across a dual carriageway but was not my day to die.
I can understand what a challenge it is and i doubt i would ride if i only had the permament use of one eye
Stay safe!

Last edited by TC3; 20-05-07 at 07:05 PM.
Old 20-05-07, 08:18 PM   #3
kitkat

there was a farmer guy who used to go to the IAM with me, who had a blade, he only has one eye. He moves his head about a bit more but I was out with him and chatting to him for about a year before I found out. lol. he mentioned he had to check helmets as some restrict his side view more than others.
Old 20-05-07, 08:30 PM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

My neighbour was pensioned out of the Royal Marines when a flash bang took out his left eye. He did his class 1 on his way out, Rides a blade and now works as a paramedic driving a fast reponse car.

Only having one working eye only seems to stop his doing one thing. Being a sniper and He tells me that his M.O. covered for him for two years and it was only picked up and made official following a change of M.O. So he was still able to shoot well enough with only the one working eye. He is bloody fast on his blade and it has never stopped him from doing driving required jobs etc. so don't worry, just make sure you do sufficient observatons to pick up the stuff your other eye would have seen.

Last edited by timwilky; 20-05-07 at 08:32 PM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-07, 08:53 PM   #5
CoolGirl

I have a rare form of macular degeneration and have lost 50% of the vision in my right eye so far. The left eye will go the same way any day now. I could lose the lot.

My consultant at Moorfields and I decided about 2 years ago that it was time to stop riding because my blind spot affects my hazard perception and I have severe problems functioning in low or scattered light. There is no time for mucking about and refocusing/readjusting, esp when riding in central London, with it's road furniture, lemming pedestrians and other heart-stopping delights. My depth percetion is weak and I can't judge the speed of other vehicles, esp when they're coming towards me. This has gotten worse in the last 6 months.

IMO, the bar for the DVLA driving standard is set way too low. Under their rules, I could drive a car if I wanted to (and did until a year ago), but I choose not. Despite the DVLA passing me, I know I can't see properly and I'd never forgive myself if I harmed or killed someone in an accident because I missed or misread a hazard. I loved my bike, and giving it up was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it's not worth it, and there are plenty enough irresponsible people with poor vision who are on the road but shouldn't be. My son was a big factor in deciding all of this.

Anyway, if you only have one eye, surely you can only do a lifesaver and check your mirror properly on one side? And what happens when you get crud in your good eye?

Last edited by CoolGirl; 20-05-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 21-05-07, 08:00 AM   #6
MiniMatt

Just asked a one-eyed colleague (turns out those firework safety adverts we all saw as kids weren't exaggerating). He's not a biker, but his best advice was "avoid winking at pretty ladeez whilst driving". He also advises wearing a pirate patch when out on the pull as a guaranteed success

So, not much help on the actual riding I'm afraid
Old 21-05-07, 10:41 AM   #7
Captain Nemo

i have minimal forward vision in my left eye, i have good peripheral vision, but not much forward, i dont find it too bad on the bike, i use other things to judge distance, such as size of street furniture, other vehicles, width of cway etc.

its never been an issue, although im not very comfortable staying on the left kerb for too long , when approaching right handers, i think thats because its harder to keep track of the lh kerb and i worry im going to clip it before turning in.

it does cause massive problems when playing golf however, as there are less things to fix on, trees can vary in size tremendously, so theyre no good, and theres not many other fixed things of determinate size to judge from,

hence why i sometimes use a 3 iron when im only 90yds away, or get a 9 iron out when i should be on a 3 wood or something.........

well thats my excuse anyway.
Old 22-05-07, 08:38 AM   #8
slark01

Thank you for your thoughts
It's hard to explain to people how difficult it is at times to have only one eye and being restrcted to what you can do.
Before I decided to get a full licence I had a 2 year stint on a 125 and it gave me an idea of what it was like ( not the same as a 650 I know ). I cannot drive a car as it feels too big for me also judging width and distance is awful.
I also have to be careful when choosing a helmet as peripheral vision is impared a great deal, but I have compensated by adjusting my mirrors accordingly, i'm also able to turn my head a lot further to the left than normal which helps greatly for changing lanes etc.
I'm now 37 and have kinda developed a 6th sense of anything being on my left regardless of whether i'm stood still or on my bike and this has helped me out with some idiots trying to undertake me when i've wanted to move to the left.
I'm a confident rider but would still love to be able to feel more confident, I know this is usually done by more experience but getting advice from people who is in similiar position will help a lot.
Last sunday when I went for a ride I was being overtaken by bikers on roads which I know wasn't too risking, while I was staying behind cars. This made me feel kinda like I was a complete beginner.
Finally it comes down to being safe rather than being sorry, accidents will happen but if I personally can reduce the risk even slightly that will make me happy and the wife too.
Old 22-05-07, 11:12 AM   #9
Heed

When I started riding I was sometimes bothered that other bikes would tear past me but now I just let them get on with it. If I'm riding an unfamiliar road I'll just sit at around the speed limit and enjoy the ride. On roads I know I have been known to fly about a bit though. People overtaking you says nothing about your ability unless you're trying to keep in front of them. And if you were that bothered about losing your licence you'd have bought a litre sportsbike anyway