SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-09-11, 11:24 AM   #1
megs

Default Chain adjustment help - Manchester?

Hi I was wondering if anyone around the Manchester area can help me adjust the chain on my pointy. I've not checked the slack for a while and just checked now and noticed its gone really slack and I don't want to do it myself as I have no idea or a torque wrench, I also don't want to fudge it up.

Help would be much appreciated please
Old 24-09-11, 06:14 PM   #2
ian505050

Default Re: Chain adjustment help - Manchester?

I would do it for you but i am at BD4 Bradford good hour drive for you but the offer is there and i am in every evening.

The owners manual describes how to do it and if you have not got it you can download it.

Its easy when you have done it once

Last edited by ian505050; 24-09-11 at 06:16 PM.
ian505050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-11, 06:27 PM   #3
Shawthing

This is basic maintainance that you are going to have to get a grip with yourself.
Fistly you don't know if the chain has changed significantly recently which could indicate damage or end of life.
Check for physical damage ( cracked link etc) and is chain overly stretched /sprockets worn (fit of chain in sprocket holes etc).

If all is ok then go and buy torque wrench and 24mm 1/2" socket from clas ohlsen shop in Manchesteer arndale (open Sunday) Downstairs.
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=160928285
and
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=163676961

Loosen Axel Nut.
Adjust slack by tightening adjuster nuts ( on end of swinging arm) evenly. I do 1/8 turn each at a time.
Continue until chain play on underside of sprockets is 20-30mm.
Tighten axel nut to 100Nm with torque wrench and socket making sure right hand side of wheel does not slide backwards.
Recheck slack and guide marks on swingingarm are even.

Easy.

If you are still stuck PM me your address and i'll see if i can free up some time to help. I am in South Manchester.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-11, 09:08 AM   #4
warmshed

Don't forget you need to adjust your slack at the chain's tight spot. Always turn the wheel and check the tension at various parts of the chain and the adjusted slack refers to the tightest position .

You tube has a number of videos that show you how to do it such as
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4Ds...eature=related

Much easier to do than you may think. Good luck Dave.
Old 25-09-11, 09:09 AM   #5
megs

Cheers I'm gonna give it a go today. But the manual says replace the cotter pin with a new one. Do you have to do this because I don't have a new one.
Old 25-09-11, 09:21 AM   #6
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs View Post
Cheers I'm gonna give it a go today. But the manual says replace the cotter pin with a new one. Do you have to do this because I don't have a new one.
You don't need to touch any cotter pin's to adjust your chain on a pointy SV. You must be reading the wrong bit of the manual.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 25-09-11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 25-09-11, 09:46 AM   #7
warmshed

By cotter pin I expect you mean split pin in this instance, these can normally be removed carefully and re used, however a split pin on the rear axle is only on US models so you will not have one unless your bike is an import.

Dave.
Old 25-09-11, 11:23 AM   #8
Badeye

Just a quick question on this topic, whats the best way to make sure the wheel is correctly aligned? I've heard the tension sliders on the swing arm are inaccurate. Is this true?
Old 25-09-11, 11:35 AM   #9
warmshed

Do a final measurement between the centre of the rear axle/wheel spindle and the centre of the swinging arm pivot on both sides, adjust the offside to get this correct.

The inaccuracy of the existing marks comes with the movement of the marker plates on the spindle, the holes in the plates have to be bigger than the spindle or it would not pass over it.

Once measured you can check your marks for accuracy, its always good to make sure the plates are pressed towards the engine to take up the movement before final tightening.

Last edited by warmshed; 25-09-11 at 11:40 AM.
Old 25-09-11, 06:01 PM   #10
Badeye

This is defo worth a watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4DsHV8SAQ

I cleaned, adjusted and lubed my chain today and it's made such a difference. I watched the above video just be sure i was doing everything right and it helped.