SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-08, 04:35 PM   #1
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Front engine bolt removal/ frame slider fitting

Hi,
Just fitting my frame sliders (bought form that american sv bloke on ebay), it comes with instructions but I'm having a bit of difficulty undoing the front engine bolt. I've noticed on the sv on the left hand side it has a weird (safety-?)washer that I've never seen before. Is there a technique or is it just brute force?
Cheers

Old 20-09-08, 04:40 PM   #2
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Front engine bolt removal/ frame slider fitting

Are they Motosliders?

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 12-10-08 at 10:07 AM.
Old 20-09-08, 04:44 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Are they Motosliders?

yep
Old 20-09-08, 04:51 PM   #4
Dangerous Dave

All you need to do is undo the 19/17mm nut and withdraw the bolt, leave the rest alone!!!

You will need two deep 19mm sockets, a breaker bar, and a torque wrench to fit them.
Old 20-09-08, 04:54 PM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Tools Needed:

Torque Wrench
Socket Wrenche (Breaker Bar)
2 x 3” or longer socket extensions
2 x 19mm Sockets
2 x 17mm Sockets

Steps

1. Using the 2 socket wrenches, and 17mm sockets, remove the bolt from the main engine mount.

2. Use a locking agent, such as Blue LocTite® on the loose nut. The nut already tightened has Red Loctite already applied. Insert new bolt with nut, and slider around it. Make sure slider with smaller base is on the rider’s right of the bike.

3. Put the 37mm washer on the left side of the bike, around the bolt.

4. Put the remaining slider on the bolt.

5. Insert the remaining included nut into one of the 19mm sockets.

6. Using the 19mm socket and extension, thread the nut onto the bolt until “finger-tight”.

7. Using the other 19mm socket and extension, as well as the socket wrenches, tighten the nuts. Torque to 65 ft-lbs.
Old 20-09-08, 05:22 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Cheers dd, It's just undoing the 17mm nut that's difficult it just won't budge - extremely tight.
Old 20-09-08, 05:28 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

I've got to get going now....

I would spray a load of WD40 on the nut and leave it to soak in, you will need a long breaker bar to use as leverage and possibly somebody on the other side to hold the bolt still.

I'll be back....
Old 20-09-08, 06:57 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I've got to get going now....

I would spray a load of WD40 on the nut and leave it to soak in, you will need a long breaker bar to use as leverage and possibly somebody on the other side to hold the bolt still.

I'll be back....
Thanks a lot dave, I usually avoid the brute force and ignorance approach that's why I asked. When I heard a cracking noise as I was forcing it I thought I was damaging it or maybe there was a safety washer (those washers are funny looking in the frame!) but after you told me I tried it again and it cracked some more and then eventually came off. It must have just been a bit seized. Lost my loctite but the nut was a nylock and there's not a lot of chance of that bolt coming out through vibration (let alone unnoticed) although I did put a tiny tiny coating of grease on the bolt. If you think it's a good idea to loctite it though I'll do it when I MOT it. The frame sliders look a bit funny on a non track bike (it's just a curvy naked!) but I think they're a good idea so I'll be an odd one lol. Thought they were a bit overpriced for what they were to be honest.
Thanks for your help though - probably wouldn't have got it done today without you

ps
Still after suggestions on a cool headlight for my bike - it's doing my head in!
I've took the ugly wind shield off today which has made it look loads less old man, but I still want to do something with it hmph.

Last edited by Dave20046; 20-09-08 at 07:00 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-08, 07:16 PM   #9
sv650k4

a breaker bar will make it easier or a normal ratchet with something sliped over the top of it IE a bit of inch box metal i use and you should get it out fine!

Old 21-09-08, 10:55 AM   #10
Dangerous Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Thanks a lot dave, I usually avoid the brute force and ignorance approach that's why I asked. When I heard a cracking noise as I was forcing it I thought I was damaging it or maybe there was a safety washer (those washers are funny looking in the frame!) but after you told me I tried it again and it cracked some more and then eventually came off.
No problems mate, yeah it will crack when you go to take them off as after all it is mostly the first time that nut and bolt have moved since the bike was built in the factory!

Quote:
Lost my loctite but the nut was a nylock and there's not a lot of chance of that bolt coming out through vibration (let alone unnoticed) although I did put a tiny tiny coating of grease on the bolt.
Just give it a check in a weeks time with a torque wrench, you should be fine though as is.

Quote:
Thought they were a bit overpriced for what they were to be honest.
They are a lot cheaper than the opposition and they have never failed, which you can not say about the opposition. Think of it this way, if you ever did go down the would most likely save you more money than they cost you (especially on a Naked as the Curvy fairing helps keep the tank off of the ground most of the time).