SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-11, 10:47 PM   #1
cluffy

Default Nearly losing it, (crashing).

Hey folks, had a bit of a brown pants moment the other day, basically i was being a bit of a loon and must have hit a pothole in the road, next thing the bars shake pretty much from lock to lock, nearly flying out of my hands, i thought i was going to be off but luckily it stopped, this prob only happened for a split second (felt a lot longer sat on the bike). i just imagined when i see it on't telly when riders lose it all together and the back kinda counteracts the front and throws them off. just wonder what causes this (apart from riding a bit silly-ly) and when it happens what helps stop it / keep control. Dont suppose its like when you get fish tailing from a trailer, either gun it and pull out of it or brake and hope it stops, but its just on the bike you dont seem to have long to react before its gonna throw u into the road.

Danny
Old 15-03-11, 10:53 PM   #2
Webber

Default Re: Nearly loosing it

Had the same a few time, i get it mainly from the cross hatch markings on the roads. Ether hold on till it stops or power out and get the front up off the ground. Its what i've found works, never had it as bad as full lock but all the same scary when it happens!
Old 16-03-11, 12:10 AM   #3
C-Pk

I'm only new to my SV but I am dreading the day this happens to me. I have watched many tank slapper videos online. Not a nice feeling I'm sure.

Oh, also, I have heard. Never brake when you enter a tank slapper as this puts your weight to the front tyre which is tank slapping. Accelerate out of it seems to be the general consensus.

Last edited by C-Pk; 16-03-11 at 12:12 AM.
Old 16-03-11, 12:17 AM   #4
cluffy

Im practically new to the sv, only got it in october ish.. not using it in the rain / crap weather tho.. tbh if you take it steady for a while u prob wont / shouldnt have this problem.. just me being a loon I think the main reason for it is the rider, but id just like to know ways of aleviating the issue should it happen again... and Mr C-Pk i see this is your first post so you may best posting a big hello in the idle banter section (if you havnt already).. best to introduce yourself to everyone and then go from there.

Danny
Old 16-03-11, 12:23 AM   #5
C-Pk

Will do Thanks.
Old 16-03-11, 10:11 AM   #6
Stig

Default Re: Nearly losing it, (crashing).

Had it on my way home last night as it happens on the YZF. Caused by ripples in the road which unsettled the rear suspension while winding the throttle on and also the front wheels going over cats eyes. I just eased off the throttle slightly for a split second and then pinned it open again. I expect the car I was overtaking at the time was more concerned than I was. It was quite violent to begin with but the whole experience must have lasted two seconds or less. Think that's only the second time I've ever had one myself. The first some 20 years ago or more.
Old 16-03-11, 10:48 AM   #7
SVMAT

Not a nice feeling i know. Normally happens on a set of consecutive bumps, normally due to lorries rippling the tarmac under braking/acceleration. If the road flattens out the gyroscopic effect of wheel should straighten her up, the danger of powering out of it are you could just come off faster. Ive only had it lock to lock smashing once and i just laid right off and the engine braking from the rear pulled the bike back in line.
Ive learnt where all the local spots are for poor rippled surfaces now so thats your best bet.
Old 16-03-11, 12:43 PM   #8
vardypeeps

If it happens again just try not to grab hold of the bars really tight as it makes it worse :-S
Old 16-03-11, 05:17 PM   #9
Zen Beetle

Spin your front wheel and check that the rim is still true. You will need a static point from which to measuring the run from. Apart from being dangerous it will also fail the MOT if its not true. Its worth checking bearing in mind you hit the pothole with such force. Hope its OK?
Old 16-03-11, 06:03 PM   #10
Milky Bar Kid

Happened to me once:

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=149422