SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-04, 09:45 PM   #1
alison_w

Default my baby not well :-(

My bike felt absolutely fine riding into work this morning - no problems whatsoever. I went down to the garage after work to pick her up, started her up, she started first time, no problems, nothing unusual. I drove her out of the garage, and the engine cut out dead, and the red oil light came on the dashboard. The headlights were still on and working, and there was no warning message on the dashboard, so I tried to start her again but nothing happened. It was as if she was switched off. So, turned engine off, turned her round, took her back into the garage, turned her back on again - red light still on - tried to start her up, starts first time but red light doesn't go off. Turned her back off again, checked oil level - 2/3 full. Half a tank of petrol. Me very confused.
Old 09-11-04, 11:18 PM   #2
Bud

I don't want to be patronising...just that I've done this b4, but could you have knocked the engine cut out switch?
Old 10-11-04, 03:30 AM   #3
Logie bear

I thing the fact that the engine is starting but then cutting out with the red light showing could point to a fueling/ignition problem, the pump could be knackered, or an elecrtical fault. (checked the levels in your battery)

With the redoil/warning light being on, if you have the users manual it may have a list of possible problems associated with the warning light as it may have more uses than just as an oil pressure/level indicator.

I'm no expert, you could pm weegaz and get a pointer from him as he is a bit of a wizz on the technical front.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Good luck.

Sean.
Old 10-11-04, 03:31 AM   #4
Logie bear

I think the fact that the engine is starting but then cutting out with the red light showing could point to a fueling/ignition problem, the pump could be knackered, or an elecrtical fault. (checked the levels in your battery)

With the redoil/warning light being on, if you have the users manual it may have a list of possible problems associated with the warning light as it may have more uses than just as an oil pressure/level indicator.

I'm no expert, you could pm weegaz and get a pointer from him as he is a bit of a wizz on the technical front.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Good luck.

Sean.
Old 10-11-04, 06:59 AM   #5
Swiss

There is a kill switch on the side stand that kills the engine if the stand isn't fully closed and teh bike is in gear. It the stand is a little stiff it dosen't always go all the way to the closes position and this can trigger the kill switch. You may find that with the wet weather etc you will have to grease the stand often so that it works properly.
This problem has happened to a few of the peeps on here so I thoght it worth mentioning.
Hope it helps and you get it sorted.
Old 10-11-04, 07:20 AM   #6
alison_w

thanks guys, I did think that may be the problem, but I checked it and it definately isn't the engine cutoff switch. Maybe it has something to do with the stand, I dunno. I checked in the manual, it reckons it's warning me about oil pressure, but with it being 2/3 full of oil, it suggests I contact my suzuki dealer and doesn't offer any more information as to what might be wrong. I'd be suprised if it's an electrical fault as the bike is quite new - I got it brand new at easter.
Old 10-11-04, 08:57 AM   #7
Cloggsy

Alison, get the dealer to come & sort it - that's what your warranty is for
Old 10-11-04, 09:30 AM   #8
alison_w

Have already got Suzuki Assist on the way! Just wondered if anyone might know what was up with it, as I have no idea.
Old 10-11-04, 09:35 AM   #9
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_w
Have already got Suzuki Assist on the way! Just wondered if anyone might know what was up with it, as I have no idea.
Sorry, not teaching you to suck eggs or anything No offence intended
Old 10-11-04, 11:16 AM   #10
alison_w

oh, none taken! Was just agreeing that getting someone else to look at it was best course of action, seeing as I have next to no mechanical knowledge whatsoever! As is Sod's law, the AA man came ot see it, but it suddenly decided to behave itself and so as far as he was concerned there was nothing wrong with it. I'm going to take it to the dealer this weekend and see if they can give it the once over, but for now it appears to have cleared whatever caused it to cut out and lose ignition. So, still confused. Thanks for the replies anyway, if I do find out what happened to it, I'll let you know.