SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-12, 07:21 PM   #1
adds

Default Curvy won't idle.

hi ladies and gent,
i bought a sv 650 curvy shape and it had been sat for ages. the whole thing was filthy.
it would rev past 3000 rpm and it everything looks cack!
well now its had a full respray. changed oil, oil filter, air filter, irridium spark plugs, cleaned the carbs, drained and changed coolant. new battery. its lookin very very nice.
after a bit of fighting with the fuel system i got it started today for the first time. alot of smoke and carbon but that cleared quickly.
now it will idle on choke and if i reduce the choke so do the revs. but even after warming up it cuts out straight away if the choke is turned off fully.
it backfires a bit and has a few pops. i took it for a ride and it pulls smooth but as soon as you stop reving it cuts out.
please tell me what i should be looking for. im not happy with the amount of back fire but i really need to sort out the idle.
Old 13-05-12, 08:36 PM   #2
jambo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Curvy won't idle.

Assuming the choke works correctly, given you've had the carbs out, I'd ask the following:

Where's the idle adjuster set to? You should have the adjuster screwed in so the engine idles at about 1300 rpm.

Jambo
Old 14-05-12, 01:27 AM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Sounds like the idle mixture is way too lean, either the screws are fully in or the passages are blocked.

Did you remove the idle mixture screws and blow through the passages when the carbs were stripped? What are they set to? (nominal setting is 2.5 turns out for as UK bike, ideally needs setting individually when the engine is up to temp but that should be near enough for it to run reasonably well).
Old 14-05-12, 03:08 PM   #4
adds

Hi guys, thanks for the replies,
Gave the idle screw a twist and that has got it idling. Only problem is its only running on one.
Tool for a ride to not station. Wasn't smooth at all but the second cylinder would kick in about 3000 k. Which was scary as hell.
Failed on a too fast flashers and a binding front brake. So will be sorting them now but have no idea where to start to sort the fuel issue. Get the feeling your gonna say carb balance. ???
Old 14-05-12, 06:24 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The idle jet/drillings or the holes in the emulsion tube in the carb of the problem cylinder is/are blocked.

Common on carbs that are unused for a while but not drained. Can be a total git to clear.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 14-05-12 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Terrible syntax.
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12, 07:11 PM   #6
adds

It struggles whilst riding until I open it up the. It it kicks in. Like I said pretty scary. I cleaned the carbs but I will make sure and strip them again tonight.
Old 23-05-12, 01:06 PM   #7
adds

Hi guys, carbs have been stripped and cleaned again. When it's warm it idles on both pots when it's cold it only idles on one. The rear one will kick int when it goes about 2000 rpm and if I increase the idle it also kicks in at 2000rpm else it idles on one ate standard 1500 rpm. Any suggestions how to fix that is it just a matter of turning the Mix screw? If so which way. In or out
Old 25-05-12, 07:36 PM   #8
adds

this is now starting to make me old. the issue now is that it idles on the front cylinder only and will idle on the rear if i rack up the idle adjuster. it runs lumpy and is generally rubbish. ive cleaned the carbs again and sprayed carb cleaner throughout and up all the little holes and all seem clear. i think that it is due to them being completely out of balance. help me
Old 25-05-12, 10:21 PM   #9
Winder

Try another set of carbs