SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-12, 10:05 AM   #1
Danny Dickinson

Default Front brake caliper overhaul.

So, i ordered some SS brake lines because my brakes were nowhere near as good as they should be, and thought it would be a reasonably cheap fix.

However, things have gone from bad, to worse, to damn right bloody awful.

It had a full service inc. valve clearances last month, and was advised that i need new dust seals in the calipers, because there was none haha, so i ordered a seal kit while i was at it to save paying the mechanic to do what i was told on here was an easy enough job.

Upon taking the pads out the calipers, started pumping the lever to push the pistons out, and one, yes, ONE piston moved, then popped out, followed by the fluid. Though to myself right, not an issue, time for some compressed air..... didnt budge them. Being lost at this point, i ventured over to A.T Whites, 30 seconds up the road, and asked if they would have a pop with their compressor, as i figured it would have a bit more whack behind it than my neighbours.... again, nothing. Eventually, after 40mins of not being able to move them, out came the plumbers grips, and after a lot of wrestling and another hour passed, the remining 3 pistons were out.

So, now i have ordered new pistons from suzuki, which come with seals, meaning i wasted money with the new seal set. ARGH!!!!!!!!

Next to order, was new brake pads, seeing as the ones in there are worn all wonky. Now all i have to do is spend what seems like forever cleaning theses bloody calipers and getting it all back together again when i pick up the new pistons from suzuki in lincoln on wednesday.

Costs:
Wezmoto SS brake lines - £39.99
Wurth 500ml braake fluid - £4.99
New seal kit - £44.99
New pistons and more bloody seals - £98.99
Goldfren HH brake pads - £22.98

Is it just me or when it was serviced, shouldn't this have been picked up on??????

And i am now wondering why i didnt just buy new calipers!!!!!

Anyway rant over, i will get some pics on when i get round to taking them.
Old 27-08-12, 11:42 AM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Horrendous brake calipers

A lot of mechanics seem very lassaiz faire about caliper overhauls, IME it's one of the most common and important job.
Maybe a reflection on many bikes on the road doing less miles, I'm not sure.

Re. one piston popping out, what did you expect both of them to come out nice and easy of their own accord?

Next time, no need for compressor, or butchering them with stillsons. Put G clamp on one piston, pump it out a bit, swap to other piston. Just get them to move nice and slow 1 at a time then you get both out easily.
Old 27-08-12, 11:48 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Horrendous brake calipers

Like Chris says, pump one piston 'til it's nearly out, restrain, pump another, repeat.
When they're all very nearly out of the seals, rock them back and forth and you'll be able to remove them with your fingers, no butchering of pistons needed.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 12:29 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Front brake caliper overhaul.

my preferred method.

one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-PCS-Inne...item58955fa98a

6 chunky orings to fit on ends of pullers

quick, easy and mark free piston removal with the added benefit that you can pull wheel bearings out with the same tool. may seem pricey but when you do need to use it you will be glad you have it and it will last you a lifetime.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 12:56 PM   #5
Danny Dickinson

Hi guys. Cheers for the ideas, definately lessons learnt for the next time. In all fairness to my stupidity, i do wonder if they would have come out anyway. The top bit of the pistons, as in the bits pushing on the pads, all look like they have been had at with pliers in their time, and when i started cleaning the calipers out, they were like bloody salt shakers!

Also, there was quite a bit of what can only be described as black paste in the bottom of the caliper bore under the pistons. Even though i am putting new brake lines on, would it be worth flushing the whole system first to make sure that any crap is pushed out? There was a little bit in the resevoir too.

Cheers
Old 27-08-12, 01:49 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

the G clamp method works.
I've also found a footpump with an airbed adapter works quite well if in a rush.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 01:57 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Dickinson View Post
Hi guys. Cheers for the ideas, definately lessons learnt for the next time. In all fairness to my stupidity, i do wonder if they would have come out anyway. The top bit of the pistons, as in the bits pushing on the pads, all look like they have been had at with pliers in their time, and when i started cleaning the calipers out, they were like bloody salt shakers!

Also, there was quite a bit of what can only be described as black paste in the bottom of the caliper bore under the pistons. Even though i am putting new brake lines on, would it be worth flushing the whole system first to make sure that any crap is pushed out? There was a little bit in the resevoir too.

Cheers
If you have new lines, clean inside calipers, then yeah you can let some fresh fluid drip through master if you want, probably not much in it.

Clean crap out of seal grooves, this is what makes tham drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
the G clamp method works.
I've also found a footpump with an airbed adapter works quite well if in a rush.
Old 27-08-12, 02:01 PM   #8
muzikill
Mega Poster

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=173416

Check the before & after pics & make your mind up!
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-12, 03:26 PM   #9
sv_rory

I use heat from a heat gun because the seals go soft and the pots lift straight out in seconds
Old 27-08-12, 04:15 PM   #10
Danny Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikill View Post
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=173416

Check the before & after pics & make your mind up!
Just a little bit of a difference aint there

Spent the afternoon cleaning mine up ready for new pistons on wednesday, there was an offensive amount of s**t where the seal sit, but its all out now

The calipers themselves are somewhat untidy, as in the paint on them, but to be honest, thats just cosmetic and can hang on for a while.

Thanks for all your replies fellas