SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-06-20, 09:37 AM   #8221
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
or how about cyclists who take up the whole road with their mates. the highway code applies to you to you furkin morons.
or how about the ones who cant get their foot out the clips quick enough and fall over at the lights... oohhh wait thats funny so not a gripe.
i'm all for people using pushbikes but stop being brainless morons.
I hate that, it's just inconsiderate. I cannot understand for a second why you'd think it's ok, if two people people got into lycra gimp suits and stood in the middle of a dual carriageway having a chat they'd be arrested.
Old 01-06-20, 09:47 AM   #8222
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I hate that, it's just inconsiderate. I cannot understand for a second why you'd think it's ok, if two people people got into lycra gimp suits and stood in the middle of a dual carriageway having a chat they'd be arrested.
Yet cars and other vehicles are wider than two cyclists. Believe it or not! My car has a passenger seat so someone can sit beside me and in breaking news, there's 3 more in the back...

How inconsiderate

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-06-20 at 09:49 AM.
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 10:25 AM   #8223
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Yet cars and other vehicles are wider than two cyclists. Believe it or not! My car has a passenger seat so someone can sit beside me and in breaking news, there's 3 more in the back...

How inconsiderate
And your car can only do 20 mile an hour up a hill in a 60 zone? And has the ability to collapse to half it's width to allow the traffic to flow at a safe rate but you choose not to press the auto-collapso button?

In that specific scenario, that is inconsiderate. Otherwise, point completely missed.
Old 01-06-20, 10:40 AM   #8224
Chris_SVS

Quote:
And your car can only do 20 mile an hour up a hill in a 60 zone? And has the ability to collapse to half it's width to allow the traffic to flow at a safe rate but you choose not to press the auto-collapso button?

In that specific scenario, that is inconsiderate. Otherwise, point completely missed.
Speeds are limits not targets, irrespective of that - two cyclists singling out generally only encourages close overtakes in the same lane. Decent riders will ride defensively, much like Adam has said previously. As usual though, drivers giving off about cyclists tend to be oblivious to their own space requirements.

Here's me yesterday, totally holding up traffic doing just over 20mph in an NSL. Notice how the van and the bikes were totally in the other lane? It's that simple, and it wouldn't be any different if I had someone beside me or if there was 16 in a group.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-06-20 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 11:17 AM   #8225
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Speeds are limits not targets, irrespective of that - two cyclists singling out generally only encourages close overtakes in the same lane. Decent riders will ride defensively, much like Adam has said previously.

Here's me yesterday, totally holding up traffic doing just over 20mph in an NSL. Notice how the van and the bikes were totally in the other lane? It's that simple, and it wouldn't be any different if I had someone beside me or if there was 16 in the group.

ps: the holding up traffic bit was sarcasm, the car never really gained any road on me... Strange that

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.
I think you're going to continually miss the point out of blind defensiveness for cyclists.

My point is about a group of 2 or 3 cyclists needlessly riding 2 or 3 abreast well under the speed limit is presenting an unneccessary hazard to other road users. I don't care if you're on a bicycle, two neds on mopeds comparing memes or the almost as common scenario distracted drivers in cars talking to to a passenger. I'm just as damning of all of those.
The point is, no one's gossip or wish to hold hands with their buddy is more important than others' safety.

Quick aside on the other classic line 'it's not a target' ...obviously. But you should travel in a safe and predictable manner. Just because 'it's not a target'; I should't drive my car at 2mph on the motorway to conserve fuel - I will cause an accident as no one would reasonably expect someone to do that - if that's not blindingly obvious to you do some advanced driver/rider training - acceleration and speed limit is covered there. On mine it was repeatedly drummed into us particularly when joining a NSL road to get up to speed.

I too give cyclists the whole lane when passing, even idiots riding two abreast under speed. Yes ,more often that not people will make their way round riders riding next to eachother but when someone rounds a corner at speed and meets effectively a road block accidents happen. Someone has been killed on a road near me doing exactly that. I'd say it's your life run the risk but there's quite a chance of hurting others.

Last edited by Dave20046; 01-06-20 at 11:23 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 11:37 AM   #8226
Chris_SVS

Quote:
My point is about a group of 2 or 3 cyclists needlessly riding 2 or 3 abreast well under the speed limit is presenting an unneccessary hazard to other road users. I don't care if you're on a bicycle, two neds on mopeds comparing memes or the almost as common scenario distracted drivers in cars talking to to a passenger. I'm just as damning of all of those.
The point is, no one's gossip or wish to hold hands with their buddy is more important than others' safety.
Riding two abreast isn't needless and it poses absolutely no danger to a driver. Yes riders can talk, but so can the driver and passengers in a car? If you can't deal with overtaking another car, then you shouldn't be driving, because the process is exactly the same.

Quote:
Quick aside on the other classic line 'it's not a target' ...obviously. But you should travel in a safe and predictable manner. Just because 'it's not a target'; I should't drive my car at 2mph on the motorway to conserve fuel - I will cause an accident as no one would reasonably expect someone to do that - if that's not blindingly obvious to you do some advanced driver/rider training - acceleration and speed limit is covered there. On mine it was repeatedly drummed into us particularly when joining a NSL road to get up to speed.
I'm an advanced rider and pretty much an advanced driver.

Quote:
I too give cyclists the whole lane when passing, even idiots riding two abreast under speed. Yes ,more often that not people will make their way round riders riding next to eachother but when someone rounds a corner at speed and meets effectively a road block accidents happen. Someone has been killed on a road near me doing exactly that. I'd say it's your life run the risk but there's quite a chance of hurting others.
There's nothing idiotic about riding two abreast at whatever speed is being maintained, there is however a lot idiotic at squeezing into gaps that aren't there on bends. The driver behaviour that defensive riding is used to discourage.

Then of course, responsible drivers and riders will be travelling at suitable speeds from which they can stop in the distance they can see to be clear

Last edited by Chris_SVS; 01-06-20 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 11:43 AM   #8227
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Would you like me to move the cycling discussion to it's own thread?
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-20, 11:46 AM   #8228
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Haha I'm done thanks LP, the words I type aren't being digested.

I'll look forward to another video of a completely irrelevant scenario on this thread.
Old 01-06-20, 11:47 AM   #8229
Chris_SVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Whatever you like, I'm done with it
Old 01-06-20, 11:50 AM   #8230
Dave20046
Mega Poster

On an entirely different topic (or is it the same?)Here is me overtaking a cyclist riding one a breast at 61mph in a 60mph zone on a straight road