SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 15-09-08, 06:40 PM   #1
Philbo

Default Mobile tyre fitter in Glasgow

Can anyone recommend a mobile tyre fitter in the Glasgow area? Need to send my rear wheel off for repair, and have to remove the tyre before posting. Thought I might try and make a wee deal to remove the wheel and tyre, and refit once the repairs done...
Old 15-09-08, 11:05 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Mobile tyre fitter in Glasgow

I can fit and remove tyres if you need it, I'm not mobile but if you can get over to mine on the west side of Edinburgh I can sort it for you...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-08, 08:27 PM   #3
Philbo

Hi Northy! Thanks for the offer, but if I can't get a half decent mobile fitter at a reasonable price then I'll take the wheel off myself and just take it to the place up the road from my work to get the tyre off. Thought the mobile fitter thing might save a bit of hassle, and should mean the wheels correctly fitted again when its all finished.

Would have liked to have somebody recommended though. A friend of a friend had new tyres fitted by a mobile fitter in the Dumbarton area, and jumped on the bike without a lid or full gear, becuase he was only putting it in the lock up! You guessed it, brakes didn't work, so he had a choice of a concrete wall or a metal garage door to crash in to... He took the metal door option and spent a week in hospital!

The tyre fitter, who had already been payed, buggered off pronto...have a feeling he didn't check the brakes!
Old 18-09-08, 08:16 AM   #4
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

But then surely that's partly your mates fault as well for not checking the brakes himself? I always check the brakes after having the wheel/s off as you need to press the pistons back into the calipers to make it easier to get them off the discs.
Old 18-09-08, 09:32 AM   #5
TheShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
Hi Northy! Thanks for the offer, but if I can't get a half decent mobile fitter at a reasonable price then I'll take the wheel off myself and just take it to the place up the road from my work to get the tyre off. Thought the mobile fitter thing might save a bit of hassle, and should mean the wheels correctly fitted again when its all finished.

Would have liked to have somebody recommended though. A friend of a friend had new tyres fitted by a mobile fitter in the Dumbarton area, and jumped on the bike without a lid or full gear, becuase he was only putting it in the lock up! You guessed it, brakes didn't work, so he had a choice of a concrete wall or a metal garage door to crash in to... He took the metal door option and spent a week in hospital!

The tyre fitter, who had already been payed, buggered off pronto...have a feeling he didn't check the brakes!
I used this tyre fitter the company is called FastFit. They charged me £65 for two tyres on the bike.

Very reasonable price but they did damage my front wheel.
Old 18-09-08, 05:04 PM   #6
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
But then surely that's partly your mates fault as well for not checking the brakes himself? I always check the brakes after having the wheel/s off as you need to press the pistons back into the calipers to make it easier to get them off the discs.
On this occasion he actually is a friend of a friend, and a bit of a tit if truth be told!

Even so, it's not a nice thing to have happen to you!
Old 18-09-08, 05:05 PM   #7
Philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I used this tyre fitter the company is called FastFit. They charged me £65 for two tyres on the bike.

Very reasonable price but they did damage my front wheel.
Not FastFit then!
Old 19-09-08, 01:00 PM   #8
dirtydog
Knob faced knobster
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
On this occasion he actually is a friend of a friend, and a bit of a tit if truth be told!

Even so, it's not a nice thing to have happen to you!

Well no not pleasant experience but still a bit of commonn sense by himself would've prevented it