SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-07-06, 11:29 AM   #1
Banus

Default Front Paddock Stand

Hi All,
As the title suggests, can anyone recommend a decent quality, sensibly priced FRONT paddock stand for my K1 curvy...........thanks
Old 08-07-06, 04:18 PM   #2
drumwrecker

Get a length of 10mm stainless rod, some tube that will slip over it. Put rod through hole at front of crank case. Cut the tube and slip a piece on each end of the rod.
Jack bike up under the engine placing a lump of wood between the engine and the jack.
When at the appropriate height place an axle stand under either side and lower the rod and sleeve onto them. Front wheel is now off the ground.
I couldn't get 10mm rod so used 8mm which sarted to bend slightly but did the job OK.
Old 08-07-06, 05:29 PM   #3
AlexG

I've got one of these and am pleased with it:

Steering Head Stand

But if the SV was my only bike I would probably go with drumwrecker's idea (assuming ofcourse that you have a jack and axle stands ).
Old 08-07-06, 06:39 PM   #4
drumwrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG

Steering Head Stand

But if the SV was my only bike I would probably go with drumwrecker's idea (assuming ofcourse that you have a jack and axle stands ).
I thought the fairing restricted the use of that type of stand.

Don't have to use axle stands, some timber of the right size would do the job.
Old 09-07-06, 07:55 AM   #5
AlexG

Needs a bit of care to feed the stand between the mudguard and fairing, but I would say it is no more tricky than lining up paddock stand hooks with bobbins on the rear.
I'll try to remember to take some pics next time I have the bike up on it.
Old 09-07-06, 05:40 PM   #6
xrphil

I just put a new front tyre on. didn`t have stands, so used 2 ratchet straps. Hung them on solid fixings from my garage roof and put them round triple clamps/headstock. lifted front off the ground, took wheel off then lowered forks ontostand. to replace just lifted up again. did need to use axle stands on swinging arm to stablise the bike.
Its a method if your stuck.
Old 10-07-06, 11:45 AM   #7
tomjones2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG

Steering Head Stand

got one of these of ebay and it does the job well, just need to be carefull not to scratch the mudguard and catch brakes lines when your placing it.

Not sure how stable it would be if you were really doing heavy work to your bike though.
Old 10-07-06, 10:46 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

It's not as cheap, but an Abba or NWS stand is a far, far superior option. Massively more stable, and much more versatile too, since you can remove the forks (which you can do with a steering head stand, but not with a fork stand) and also the yokes (which no front stand that I'm aware of allows). Also allwows for removal of the shock, amongst other things. But not cheap- if you plan to do more work on your bike it's a good investment, if it's just for tyres it's probably not (in fact, the saving you tend to get for loose wheels over ride in/ride out would take a long time to pay for a set of paddock stands and suitable tools)
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote