SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 26-05-07, 05:26 PM   #1
leesvee

Default Not enough nakeds - here's mine

K3
Renthal bars
Braided lines
CCC high level
Rocha undertray
Skidmarx Carbon Hugger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my toy.jpg (32.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg bike rear.jpg (29.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 26-05-07, 05:29 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: Not enough nakeds - here's mine

nice nekkid
Old 26-05-07, 07:14 PM   #3
Rich
Mega Poster

Nice looking naky bike you got there , loving the high level can. Think they look mean on the nakeds!!!
Old 26-05-07, 07:42 PM   #4
Warthog

May I ask what Renthal bars you have, and where you got them? And what bar ends do you use?

Nice looking bike!
Old 26-05-07, 11:13 PM   #5
leesvee

Right here we go........

Firstly the bars, as far as I'm aware, are standard braced road renthals (I've included attachment 'Bars.jpg') I brought them at ally pally three years ago and paid about £30ish.

The bar ends posed a little problem. Renthals have a considerably small internal bore than standard bars, so it starts to limit your choices. The only ones that fit of the shelf seem to be those naff bullet type ones.
I brought some Motrax aluminium bar ends with the carbon inserts before the renthals (see 'Bar ends.jpg') but they wouldn't fit inside!!!

On further investigation I realised that you can dismantle them to an extent, and this is where I'd like to draw you attension to 'Bar end tech.jpg' (sad I know, and all done on MS Paint!!!!!).

Part 'B' screw on to part 'C' holding part 'A' (the carbon fibre collar) in place. With a little help from a clock maker neighbour and the use of his lathe we made a collar that, after the removal of parts 'A' and 'B', screws onto part 'C' and then allows you to put it in the chuck of the lathe without mullering the aluminium. Then all you have to do (he says) is turn down the male part a the top of part 'C' to fit the internal diameter of the renthal. The area in red shows roughly what you would take off.

I think I might still have the collars somewhere so if anyone wants to do this give me a shout.

The final thing to do is trim the rubbers down with a knife as they're slightly too big to fit. And there you go decent bar ends on renthals!!!!

Finally if you're thinking of fitting renthals there's a few things you'll need to do.....

Stip everything off of the original bars (taking note of what goes where, nothing worse that putting the left hand side together and realising you've forgotten the mirror!) and then remove.
Then before you do anything else put the renthals on and just tighten the clamp down slightly. Now sit on the bike and adjust the angle backwards and forwards until it's comfotable with you (it may help to slide on the brake and clutch leavers back on to get a feel for it) then, when you're happy, mark where the bar meet the risers with some tipex or such like ( you'll need to do this as you might have to undo the clamp and remove the bars to get all the bit's back on.)

The switch gear on both sides (inicators and starter button housing) have lugs that locate them into holes on the standard bars, these stop everything spinning. The renthals will need to be drilled. The best way to mark up is wrapping masking tape around the bars covering the area where the switch gear will sit. Then when you're happy where they'll go push the top of the switch gear downwards gently and it'll leave a mark on the tape. Centre punch and drill. I drilled mine clamped to the risers.

The next point are applicable to K3 650's onwards, might be the same for curvies.

The standard routing of the throttle cables will cause the injectors to be almost wrenched off and the engine bounce of the rev limiter on right lock.

If you look at 'Throtle cables.jpg' you'll see that they now exit on the right hand side of the head stock instead of the left. You'll need lift the tank remove the cables from the injector and reroute them towards where they originally went but turning right before the headstock then out the right hand side. Then connect both ends and adjust. This works a treat and I've had no problems in the three years it's been like it.

The last and final thing is the brake line won't reach unless you unbolt the little clip on the bottom yoke, it'll still look a little taught but again no problems what so ever.

Sorry I've gone on a bit, but I think that riding with the renthals makes a world of difference to how easy it is to thow the bike around.

There you go the questions answered and then some.

If you think it's a bit daunting, I live in hastings east sussex give me a shout and if you wanna pop down I'm sure for a little donation I'll fit them for you.

Good luck with the wide bars!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bars.JPG (30.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Bar ends.JPG (20.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Throttle cables.JPG (26.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Bar end tech.jpg (13.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 27-05-07, 10:48 AM   #6
Warthog

Cheers for the comprehensive response! I have bent handlebars and just really want a replacement. I was looking at renthals because they are easy to get hold of but I really don't want to have to go through that much hassle to just get unbent bars. Is it feasable to get some ultra-low ones, then cut a bit off each end so that you don't have to mess about with throttle cables etc? I still don't know what to do about barends then either.
Old 27-05-07, 10:56 AM   #7
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Cheers for the comprehensive response! I have bent handlebars and just really want a replacement. I was looking at renthals because they are easy to get hold of but I really don't want to have to go through that much hassle to just get unbent bars. Is it feasable to get some ultra-low ones, then cut a bit off each end so that you don't have to mess about with throttle cables etc? I still don't know what to do about barends then either.
I've got low road Renthals on mine. I didn't bother with bar end weights and don't miss them. However, I've got an inch of bar sticking out each side and it looks like bar-end weights...
Old 27-05-07, 11:05 AM   #8
leesvee

low ones might work still need to think about the distance look at the attachment. I'm sure renthal do a completely flat bar - I think they're fitted as standard on that new special edition SV1000.

Like chazzb says you don't have to have bar ends, but there are bullet type bar ends that'll fit. My bar ends are as light as anything and I don't suffer with vibration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distance.jpg (4.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 27-05-07, 01:44 PM   #9
veggiz

Nice bike!

Was it hard to fit the highmount can? Did you have to move your blinkers? In that case, how/where did you move them?
Old 27-05-07, 02:59 PM   #10
riktherider

there are a couple of bar ends you can get which fit. oberon do a really nice pair which ive got on mine. nice weighty stainless steel ones. i didnt have any on there on my last set of renthals, but i am glad to have some bar ends in. also better to have bar ends if you clip someones wing mirror!