SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-07, 11:44 PM   #1
tomjones2

Default tyre warmers

I'm looking at getting some tyre warmers, any recomendations about brands etc. Should I go for ones with a temperature control. I take these should be better for warming wets, I'm still unsure if you should warm wets or not.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MotoGP-Moto-GP...QQcmdZViewItem

Say some of these moto gp ones on fleebay, there also on demon tweeks so I would hope there alright.

Cheers
Old 30-12-07, 11:45 PM   #2
tomjones2

Default Re: tyre warmers

There is also these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=002

would you go for them over the temp controlled ones?
Old 31-12-07, 11:24 AM   #3
Blue_SV650S

The HWW ones will be thermostatically controlled ... (worth an email to double check mind).

I like the digital temp gauge on the GP warmers!! But like with most things, you get what you pay for (generally).

I have heard good reports about the GP predecessors (non digital gauge).

As for heating wets - yes, word is you are supposed to heat them for a few mins, but don't 'bake' them like you would drys. I never bother to be honest ... by the time you have ridden through the puddles to the collecting area, then sat there for a while, lets face it 99.999999% of the heat will probably be gone

What is you budget for warmers and intended use??? If it is trackday then the GP ones will probably be ok. But HWW are a quality brand and still worth considering ...
Old 31-12-07, 12:05 PM   #4
tomjones2

Cheers blue, I was planning on using them for trackdays and then going racing so I dont want something that is rubbish. Basically I want the cheapest possible that is going to do the job properly, like you say cheap stuff is normally cheap for a reason.

Being a bit of a geek I am tempted by the GP ones, the temp gauge looks kinda useful and they normally retail for a lot more, over £200 on demon tweeks. I am guessing that they are the same warmers as standard GP with the option of a temp gauge fitted. Feedback is good as well.
Old 01-01-08, 12:11 PM   #5
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjones2 View Post
Cheers blue, I was planning on using them for trackdays and then going racing so I dont want something that is rubbish. Basically I want the cheapest possible that is going to do the job properly, like you say cheap stuff is normally cheap for a reason.

Being a bit of a geek I am tempted by the GP ones, the temp gauge looks kinda useful and they normally retail for a lot more, over £200 on demon tweeks. I am guessing that they are the same warmers as standard GP with the option of a temp gauge fitted. Feedback is good as well.
Although the temp gauge is cool (pardon the pun ) I am not sure it will add much utility to the warmers. They are thermostatically controlled these days, does it matter what the exact temp is??? As I said, way , but apart from gizzet coolness, in reality it just looks like something that will get in the way/something else to break to me!!

If you invest in a quality set of warmers (like HWW) then the will last you many years ... the GP ones might do the job just fine, but one could presume they will be less durable??? (this is a presumption based on price (and we all know how these things go )).

All that said, I bought some motrax ones years ago. They were a bit weak on the hating front so I then bought some of them 'skins' to try and keep a bit more heat in. They worked fine and still work now ... (well past best as I got accidentally knocked it in gear when the bike was running on the stand and they didn't like that!! ... so I cut them open and repaired them ... ).