SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-04-11, 09:33 PM   #1
radicalry00

Default Ryan's curvy thread

Since my recent off and the fact I'm mega bored I thought I'd make a thread of the progress of the red beast since I bought it and plans for the future etc.

June 2009 when I bought her:

Added fender extenda, MTC stubby can, braided lines, heated grips:

September 2010:

Speedo rotor disintegrated so replaced that with a new one. Reg/rec also went so replaced that.

Piccies:

Also got the Autosol out and a bit of elbow grease to get rid of the dodgy lacquer on the forks:

March 2011:

April 2011:

The bike took a bit of beating this week. The front fairing is all cracked and the screen is smashed. Rearset has snapped and some of the back end is bent. My wrist and knees are also hurting quite a lot. Basically I ran out of talent on a bend, was heading straight for a pavement and some parked cars so I grabbed a load of front brake and went over the handlebars at about 10 mph and bike flipped over: Was considering street fightering but I'm going to restore it to it's former glory :

Can't really see it as the pics are poor but there are scuffs/cracks all over the front fairings:

Undertray snapped off and grabrail bent down and scuffed:

Stripped front fairings off:

Now to repairing her!:

hanger, parking light, grabrail courtesy of husky:

Prepping the panels for respraying:

Some more goodies courtest of husky all prepped and ready for the sprayers. Had to do some minor repairs on some of the brackets as a few were cracked. Nothing a bit of loctite superglue and some fibreglass filler hasn't sorted though:

More to follow

Last edited by radicalry00; 09-04-11 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-04-11, 09:39 PM   #2
radicalry00

Default Re: Ryan's curvy thread

Also have this on the way:

Old 07-04-11, 09:46 PM   #3
TamSV
Mega Poster

That bike looked incredibly clean. Nice to see it's going to live on.

EDIT: Those Woodcraft covers are cool. I've got some stuff on ebay just now and once my paypal account has enough in it I'll be pressing the button on one of those.

Last edited by TamSV; 07-04-11 at 09:49 PM.
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 10:07 PM   #4
radicalry00

I'm determined to get it looking even better than before. Always wanted some lowers on it and I think they will look nice.

Yeah the Woodcraft cover is a nice bit of bling I thought I'd treat myself to. Thought it was about time I sorted the weaping clutch cover! I ordered it with the red skid plate.

Last edited by radicalry00; 07-04-11 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 12:19 PM   #5
radicalry00

Centre panel with base coat ready for lacquer:

Going to leave for an hour or so then apply a couple of coats of lacquer. How long should I let it harden for? 24 hours?
Old 08-04-11, 01:08 PM   #6
daveyrach

I have a woodcraft they are nice.

Laquer you need to leave a minimum of 24 hours ideally to make sure its properly hardened
Old 08-04-11, 07:57 PM   #7
leebex

isnt it nearer a week for laquer?

Sorry to read about the off Ryan, but good to see you getting the sv looking good. I plan to repaint my lowers in the next few weeks, they were just satin black,and looked crap TBH so going to get the proper yellow and pearl gold from the local paint shop.

Lee
Old 09-04-11, 10:08 AM   #8
radicalry00

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebex View Post
isnt it nearer a week for laquer?

Sorry to read about the off Ryan, but good to see you getting the sv looking good. I plan to repaint my lowers in the next few weeks, they were just satin black,and looked crap TBH so going to get the proper yellow and pearl gold from the local paint shop.

Lee
I've heard times ranging from 24hr to a week so will just leave 3/4 days to harden before wet n dry'ing and polishing up.

Yeah I was gonna do a DIY job on the lowers but they take quite a bit of battering from salt and stones compared to the upper fairings so going get them done properly.
Old 09-04-11, 11:51 AM   #9
warmshed

Hi, Glad to see the bike getting repaired. Interested in your front forks, After cleaning off the lacquer and polishing them do they stay clean with just the odd polish or do they need regular care to keep clean. Mine like lots of others don't look their best. Thanks, Dave.
Old 09-04-11, 12:11 PM   #10
radicalry00

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmshed View Post
Hi, Glad to see the bike getting repaired. Interested in your front forks, After cleaning off the lacquer and polishing them do they stay clean with just the odd polish or do they need regular care to keep clean. Mine like lots of others don't look their best. Thanks, Dave.
They don't take much maintaining at all. I think I've polished them once since I did them last year and they still look good. The front downpipe on the other hand I have to do every other week or it starts turning brown. Bloody thing!