SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 26-03-06, 04:26 PM   #1
Quedos

Default Traffic Lights

How do you guys cope with lights with sensors on them????

I was stuck at a set for over 15mins. I rode up and down the rode in hope to change them. I even tried doing star jumps in the middle of the road but to no avail. I know theye were working as the 2 other spurs had traffic flowing from them.

As the road was in the middle of nowhere I lost the rag and rode through the red light.

Any suggestion to how to make yourself bigger?
Old 26-03-06, 04:57 PM   #2
haggis

Yeah, that's always infuriating.

Does anyone know if they're infra-red?
If so a nice big smokey burnout should do the trick.
Old 26-03-06, 05:41 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Think they're usually induction coils- metal detectors, basically. And there's not an awful lot of ferrous material in an SV. I've only had that once, got totally stuck at a humpback bridge- all you can do is either go a different route, wait for a car to come, or ride through. If there's decent visibility I ride through, but I avoid a couple of spots I know of that are set up like that and not really safe to ride through.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-06, 09:50 PM   #4
owenieboy

I read somewhere that if the sensor is in the ground to ride at the edge of the lane rather than the middle, think it's something to do with the wire below being more sensitive at the sides

But then I've not had this problem... yet
Old 06-04-06, 09:06 PM   #5
nuntius

That happened to me on my test, in the pouring rain. I think it was partly to do with the fact that I didn't lose my rag that passed me. I had to wait for a car to come up behind me, and I went as far forward as possible to let them get picked up.

For some ****ing STUPID reason I wore slip on shoes for the test. Slip ons. The rain was so heavy that at the point where we pulled over to the side of the rode for the hill start, I took them off quickly and pored the water out. He probably shoul have failed me for my choice of footwear.
Old 06-04-06, 09:48 PM   #6
Quedos

Nunitus

how do you find the restriction on the 650

on a 250 at the moment but wanting to move up. Restricted with a year to go
Old 07-04-06, 04:38 PM   #7
nuntius

Quedos

I've not ridden it without the resriction, obviously, so I have no comparison, but....

I mainly ride round town and for town it has loads of power. However, I go out at weekends with my dad on his thou, and a few of his friends on a variety of 600cc supersports, and it becomes painfully clear that once you get the speed a bit, it becomes very hard to do a safe overtake. It might just be a little too heavy for the restriction to handle.

However, as far as fuelling goes, no problem whatsoever, and I think i'll learn better because I'll then have a DIRECT comparisson between the powers, so hopefully I should be a bit safer when it comes off, than if I'd ridden a different bike altogether before getting it
Old 07-04-06, 06:34 PM   #8
lynw

Talking of lights, since Im going to be heading to Edinburgh in a week and a bit can you confirm something Ive been told.

That you cant use the cycle area at lights to pull up in. One London riding habit thats been mentioned might get me in a bit of bother.
Old 07-04-06, 07:21 PM   #9
independentphoto

Hi Lyn.

Can't say for Edinburgh, but I'd give it a try anyway - if you get any questions, just explain in your best strong accent that you're visiting and that you were unaware since it's regular practice "daan souf". It the safest place to be on two wheels surely.

I think you're more likely to get picked on by snotty cyclists - just like Oxford!

Cheers,
Garry
Old 07-04-06, 11:48 PM   #10
stev

DON'T use the cycle box !

1. it's for pedal cycles

2. The Fed's will pull you

Stev