SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-09-08, 08:20 AM   #1
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Toyota Hilux

Since this summer has been pants, and I've been working all the good days anyway, we have decided not to order the street triple for next year. As compensation, might buy something a bit silly just for fun, i.e. a hilux to faff around with, monster up, sit in the back at airshows etc.
Any tips on what to look out for, questions to ask? prolly looking at about 10 years old, (definately pre 2001 due to the road tax changes), and diesel. Not looking at the surf, just the 2 seater flatbed workhorse jobbie.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-08, 03:04 PM   #2
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: Toyota Hilux

Since top gear, the prices have soared! Be warned; you will get nailed every time you need to pay a toll anywhere (£10.60 for the Severn crossing!)

If you're wanting to do a bit of offroading; there's heaps on ebay where people have spent in excess of £20k on kit, and are selling for £10k.
Old 13-09-08, 03:21 PM   #3
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
Since top gear, the prices have soared! Be warned; you will get nailed every time you need to pay a toll anywhere (£10.60 for the Severn crossing!)

If you're wanting to do a bit of offroading; there's heaps on ebay where people have spent in excess of £20k on kit, and are selling for £10k.
Naah, off roading in a 4x4 is just gay, it wrecks the BOATS for bikes too

I've seen a few decent (looking) ones on ebay for less than 3k, even trade, but no idea whats what with one. just measured my drive, might not be big enough anyway
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-08, 03:37 PM   #4
gettin2dizzy

They're no bigger than a 4x4, but don't believe the top gear hype about being indestructible. You get a lot more for your money with a Mitsubishi.

Also worth considering- get one with an old diesel that you can run on veg oil. Certain engines need no modification whatsoever. Google is your friend (and my BEST Friend)
Old 13-09-08, 07:01 PM   #5
Tim in Belgium

Had an old one for a year, NA,slow, but on big tyres and great in Northern Ireland. Lost nothing on it in 12 mths including a cracked windscreen. One vehicle you have to own/drive at some stage in your life.
Old 14-09-08, 08:38 PM   #6
chunkytfg

what tax changes? They are commercial vehicles so arnt affected!
Old 14-09-08, 09:01 PM   #7
DavieSV

I've got the double cab
Great tool, love it, very reliable
but...

just been down cornwall for the week, worked out at 24 miles to the gallon

I've got the top on the back of mine which makes it better but I do drive it with a bit of spirt

while I was down there I saw one with a chevy V8 fitted what a roar
DavieSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-08, 10:55 PM   #8
jimmy__riddle

i have a 91 hilux, mines a petrol but it runs on LPG, so it costs about the same as running a normal petrol car which does 35MPG, which for an old truck is ok. have a look at www.elite4x4.co.uk, they normally have some for sale and know anything and everything about a hilux