SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-09-13, 09:20 PM   #1
Daniel Louis

Default Pointy complete electrical failure.

Evening All,

I came out from work tonight and tried to start the bike. Nothing. It's a 2012 pointy.

Tried all the obvious, kill switch, battery terminals etc and all seemed fine - but no lights on the dash and no 'pre-check' noises when I put the key in.

Had to call the recovery guy out in the end and he was stumped too. We checked all of the fuses and then connected a jump pack to the bike and then directly to the van with leads and again, nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? He said it could be the ECU but even then he would expect some dash lights and we couldn't get anything from it. Tried bump starting it too.

Oh well. I have an SV in the garage which right now is useless, so any tips would be great.

Thanks.
Dan
Old 02-09-13, 09:51 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dead SV650! :(

Have you checked the main fuse? It's on the solenoid, not in the box with the others.
If you already did, then check ignition switch connector, continuity across solenoid input/output and from there to ignition switch connector on loom.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 08:54 AM   #3
JLeo

I had the same problem and it was a broken wire between the ignition and the main loom. Gave it a poke and I was away
Old 03-09-13, 09:00 AM   #4
chris c

Default Re: Pointy complete electrical failure.

I had this and it was a duff battery with a shot cell! but my battery was 6 years old, it had 12v with a volt meter but died once you put it under any load
Old 03-09-13, 10:17 AM   #5
Owenski

2012 Pointy?
Does it still have warrenty cover?
Old 03-09-13, 11:50 AM   #6
Daniel Louis

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips - i'm going to spend a bit of time with it tonight but yeah, the main fuse was ok and he checked all the others - but i'm going to check them myself tonight.

Hopefully it'll be under warranty whatever the issue is - it's booked into West London Suzuki on Friday. Until then, i'm back on the joys of public transport!

An hour stood in central London in leather waiting for him meant I must have lost half my body weight in sweat!
Old 03-09-13, 05:51 PM   #7
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I had this on mine, three stages from the end of a rally. Turned out the main positive lead to the battery had fractured where it had been crimped to the terminal. I couldn't even get to it at the time without tools, which of course I don't carry, so I got timed out! You can bet it's well soldered now!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 08:40 PM   #8
Shawthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
check ignition switch connector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeo View Post
I had the same problem and it was a broken wire between the ignition and the main loom. Gave it a poke and I was away

Yep . Sounds like the 'Green Connector' strikes again!

Search 'green connector' for info.

Non arbores caesa suum mittere nuntius, sed magnum numerum electrons uehementissime incommo.

Last edited by Shawthing; 03-09-13 at 08:47 PM.
Shawthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 10:10 PM   #9
Purity14

I know this will sound stupid.
I rode for 8 hours in solid rain.
When i got home and turned off my bike, and attempted to start it 20 mins later it was dead.
No lights no dash no sounds just dead.
I checked 30amp fuse and it was okay.
I checked other fuses..
I removed fuel pump fuse which had blown.. Replaced it and the bike fired up straight away no problem.

Very strange, but worth checking.
Old 05-09-13, 07:04 AM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Hmmm... That is odd. However I don't think it's the problem Daniel has, as the failure of that fuse stops the engine running, but would not account for a complete electrical failure such as Daniel has experienced.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote